sks78
Which one is the correct sentence: 1)We eat breakfast in the morning Or We have breakfast in the morning 2) We must eat our meals on time Or We must have our meal on time
From India, Hyderabad
pon1965

We have breakfast in the morning & We must have our meal on time — these sentences are considered decent and widely used though grammatically both are right
From India, Lucknow
nathrao

All the four sentences are correct.
They all have minor differences in meaning.
Sentence 1 -general statement that breakfast is eaten in the morning
Sentence 2
Sentence 3 -kind of advisory statement that meals must be taken on time
sentence 4 -refers to a specific meal which has to be taken on time.

From India, Pune
Gloriya Vaz
We have breakfast in morning and we must have our meal in time are correct. We should not say eat breakfast .....breakfast is meant to be eaten, even it is not a substance like apple etc that we eat it. So right english is have when it come to breakfast lunch dinner.
From India, Bijapur
nashbramhall

Please see more discussions on this topic at eat vs. have breakfast « Pain in the English
From United Kingdom
amodbobade

Hi,
There is a very famous English saying: "You cannot have your cake & eat it too".
If you change the statement to a question, then which one looks correct:
1. Did you eat breakfast this morning? OR Did you have your breakfast this morning?
2. Do you eat your meal on time? OR Do you have your meal on time?
All 4 sentences are correct. Just that sometimes we are not used to hearing / reading proper English, which makes us think it's wrong.
I think use of 'eat' is grammatically more accurate; though use of 'have' is a widely accepted slang, as breakfast/meal are to be eaten anyway.
Best Regards,
Amod Bobade.

amodbobade

On a little lighter note, I remember reading a funny joke:
A guy goes abroad & is trying to make friends. While discussing personal life, a person asks him: "Are you thinking of getting married soon?"
The guy replies: "No.. No... First I will marry my sister, then my mother will marry me!" ("पहले मैं अपनी बहन की शादी करवाऊंगा, फिर मेरी माँ मेरी शादी करवायेंगी").
The sentence cannot be translated in easier English than this, but somehow it feel completely wrong when you read it, if you do not know the cultural background behind it.... :-)
Best Regards,
Amod Bobade.

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.