jeyavardhan
Hi I have resigned from a company almost a year ago & my employer has now sent a legal notice asking me to repay the bonus paid on pro-rata basis. Is it legally tenable? Please advise.
From India
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Jeyavardhan,

You could have complete information. Please confirm:

a) Your Date of Joining the company

b) Your Last Working Day in the company

c) When the bonus was disbursed and for what financial year

d) In the letter that is issued to you, has the company mentioned a clause under the provisions of which the recovery process has been initiated

As per the Payment of Bonus Act, 1965 "An employee is entitled to be paid by his employer a bonus in an accounting year subjected to the condition that he/she has worked for not less than 30 working days of that year."

We need to find out why the disbursement of bonus does not fit into the above definition. Secondly, I have attached pdf copy of the Payment of Bonus Act, 1965. Go through the act and find out whether the notice contravenes with any clause of the this act.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pdf payment_of_bonus_act_1965.pdf (86.1 KB, 39 views)

jeyavardhan
Thanks Dinesh. My case is different since it does not fall under the bonus act. A part of my CTC is designated as a variable component & paid as perfoirmance bonus. Of this variable component, some percentage is paid on a pro-rata monthly basis. The company wants to recover this money stating that I did not complete 12 months. My argument is, I served for 9 & half months & the monthly bonus was paid because I was performing. Is it legally tenable to recover money paid to an employee under the head bonus. let me call you as well.
jeyavardhan

From India
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Jeyavardhan,
In your second post also you have not given complete information. Please give reply to point (a) and (b) above. Secondly, for what period the company is asking for the refund of the bonus? Why are you wary of mentioning the exact details? Tenability of their claim needs to be assessed under the provisions of payment of Wages Act and clauses mentioned in your appointment letter. Further please mention type of industry you worked in. This will help us to know whether your company was covered under Factory Act or Shops and Establishment Act.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
jeyavardhan
Hi! Dinesh,
I worked in a software company from 2008 to 2014. My last working day was 14th March 2014 & the employer wants to recover the monthly bonus paid from June 2014 to march 14' 2014. I think it's covered under shops & establishment act.
rgds

From India
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.