Mnl

Good Morning, All !
I have given a task to work on Skill Matrices for Executives & Managers. As per my knowledge Skill Matrices are to be prepared for Operators, Workers & accordingly training needs can be assessed. I am confused a little bit that how to frame Skill Matrix for above said categories of staff / employees. How to form questionnaire & how to complete the task.
Executives or managers are from various value streams like KOSPO, Marketing, Production, Sales, Stores, SCM, Purchase, Finance, Accounts, HR, Maintenance, Quality........
Any info, guidance...please.
Thanks & Regards
Mnl

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Mnl,

Good to note that you are going to develop the skill matrix, however, there lies catch too. What was erstwhile skills inventory is skills matrix today. It is old hat of the era of the personnel management. I say so because today business practices demand the end result and do not just restrict to drawing the matrix and filling the blanks.

Today's businesses concentrate on the end result. You need to identify the costs associated with each department and then make a skill matrix. Following are the examples:

a) Head SCM: - Skills required to reduce or maintain Inventory Carrying Cost at certain level

b) Marketing Head: - Skills required to reduce or maintain Marketing Cost at certain level

There are many companies who just stop at building the skills. These companies do not check whether the skills possessed by individual whether these are translated into meeting the department's goals or not. Training department organises skill based training programmes but is unable to show whether it resulted into concrete benefits. Hope you do not fall into this trap.

Final comments: - What is your designation? What is your qualification? Do you have knowledge of each department so as to make skills matrix for each department? Even if some member of this forum helps you or you download something from Google, will you able to verify correctness as well as applicability of information to your company or industry? What needs to retain and what needs to discard, do you have competence to filter the information? Going further, suppose the skills matrix is made but then who has competence to measure the skills? What is the guarantee that either you or that person will be able to uncover the mask of inefficiency and asses the right skills?

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Mnl

Thank you Dinesh Divekar sir.
I am working as an associate. I did MBA & Training & this role is completely new for me. I am enjoying my work but sometimes dont know how to proceed... I only use either google or cite hr...
Regards
Minal

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Minal,

I have written in my earlier post that before you develop skills matrix, you need to be sure about the measures of performance of each department. For this you need to institute comprehensive Performance Management System (PMS). Let me give example of your own department. When you make skills inventory, you just focus on training as skills however, PMS focuses on impact of the training skills.

This system is not just for salary increase but to ensure that direct and indirect costs associated with each department are managed effectively. Obviously without requisite skills the costs cannot be managed. To know more about PMS, I request you to go through the following link:

https://www.citehr.com/511936-pms-company.html

Though the heading of the above post is about IT company, the reply is applicable to all the industries. In the link above, you will find further few more links. I recommend you going through all the links patiently. This will help you in clearing your misgivings if any, on the subject of PMS.

Developing competence on designing KPIs is a time taking process. It requires working under some expert. Else, you may do more damage than good.

Do you wish to hire my consulting services to establish comprehensive PMS? I have worked for world's second largest logistic company. I know the challenges of the logistic industry. Please check with your management and confirm. If you wish to know more about my consulting services then you may click here to check the presentation.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
rds@futureinstitutions.org

Mnl,

Skill Matrices for Executives & Managers.

Employees do possess Soft or behavioral skills sets as well as Technical or Functional skill matrices.Behavioral skill sets like decision making, strategy and direction, learning and agility, team collaboration , entrepreneurial skills etc make all of us to behave in group perform better and better.It may be requirement of a role holder that say for example, HR Manager should be at level 4 (very good) out of 5(excellent) in team collaboration but he/ she after assessment found to be at level 3.Then he needs to make up gap in a given time .

Like wise, in other case, a role holders Functional skill sets are to be given by his immediate superior.It will vary from role to role at individual's level.For example -in case of HR manager one skill set is training to others should be level 4-which means he or she knows the contents and equipped with methodologies and now as an expert he can train others .Level 1 is no knowledge and no skill.

Skill Matrices for Operators, Workers -Here in his case an operator is expected to observe discipline, regular, obedient , honest etc as prime soft skill sets.In case of gaps in specific measures, gap correction to be made with feedback or through behavioural trainings. In matters of Technical skills as said above training needs to be identified and after assessment from L1 to L5 level, you need to draw spider graph also known as radar graph , identify level difference , execute training plan to ensure correction. I take an example of a fitter. If assessed at level 2 in one of his skill e.g. Pump repair jobs so train him to level 3 and ensure that he reaches level 4 in a stipulated period say 6-8 months time.In this situation, repetitive pump failures, maintenance hours and cost of new pumps, Overtime wages will also drastically improves.

Hope, there is fair idea about this noble subject now.

You may write or clarify in case you want to do so.

Best regards,

RDS Yadav

Management Consultant and Trainer

From India, Bareilly
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.