No Tags Found!

sowmya_shivani
Hi,
I am working with a startup firm and looking for a performance appraisal plan. Mar 2015 will be the first cycle for our employees. But currently based on employees performance , the company has provided a rise in their salary individually with in 4 months of their joining. In such a case few employees are at higher pay than the others. how can we plan an appraisal cycle in such a scenario?
Also the management is suggesting to have annual appraisal individually following the employees date of joining.
Eg: if an employee joined in Aug, appraisal will be in next year august for that employee.
Similarly they joined in november , appraisal will be in november.
Doing this way is correct? like this we will keep having appraisal cycles for employees individually through out the year.

From Canada, Ottawa
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Sowmya,

It appears that you do not have proper Policy on Performance Appraisal (PA) well in place. When employees join the company, during induction itself they should be told that when their appraisal will take place. The salient features of policy could be as below:

a) Appraisal may be done quarterly. Appraisal cycle of one year is too long. Nevertheless, salary hike may be done a son 1st April or 1st Oct.

b) Employees who join in between, when their first PA will take that can be decided in the policy.

c) % of salary hike should be linked to the score of PA.

The important point is PA concentrates only on the individual performance. We need to go beyond and measure the business performance. For this you need to have well-designed policy on Performance Management System (PMS). There was query in this forum on PMS. I have given reply to this post. Click the following link to refer the reply:

https://www.citehr.com/511936-pms-company.html

For further doubts, you may call me on my mobile number.

Thanks,

Dinesh V Divekar

From India, Bangalore
gopinath varahamurthi

Dear friend,

Performance appraisal is the most important in an organisation to assess an employee and 90 days is not enough for an employee to give his potential, and better performance appraisal should be given weight before commences of any financial year or the increment date of the next annual enhancement.. in case of an employee join on any month say in the month of January better you cannot give increment with in a year however, in sales the performance related to extra sales there would be commissions etc., so you are compelled to give commission before completion of the year, thus, better have performance appraisal for each employee separately, in the mass production there will certainly be no variation however, in other categories the variation is keen observed..

There are various types/methods of performance appraisal : Traditional/modern _ Behaviour rating scale, assessment centre. MBO, psychological appraisal, 360 degree appraisal etc., graphic metod, group appraisal, confidential report, (Annual confidential report), ranking methods etc., further, appraisal varies designation to designation, there is a questionnaire method where you can get clear picture of the employee..

The first and the foremost - ability to plan, delegate, control and co-ordinate / taking a decision / job knowledge/ quality policy in work / leadership quality / cost consciousness / power of expression in written and oral(best of communication) / resourcefulness for the organisation / cooperation / dealings with seniors and juniors / courage to disagree and reason/ initiate and original thinking etc.,

you are gifted, you can suggest a best method for the first time.. you can prove your mettle ..

best of luck ...

From India, Arcot
NK SUNDARAM

I am a HR Consultant and I provide complete HR support for startups, small and medium-size companies. In the past four years more than a dozen companies availed of my HR experience.
If interested, please get back to me.
Best wishes

From India
B K BHATIA

'Anniversary Appraisal' relates to performance review after an year of joining. Though tedious for HR to manage the process, it does ensure that each employee has enough time to provide a 'capability demonstration' & be rewarded accordingly in terms of salary increments. It has the advantage of removing inter-employee comparisons & grudges, besides reducing the load on HR as well as the reporting managers if they were to do appraisals in one go as an annual ritual.
A software solution like 'EmpXtrack' has helped many small & large companies whose managements preferred 'Anniversary Appraisals' for increments planning. You may like to visit the EmpXtrack website and have a dialogue with them.

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.