No Tags Found!

ethicalbuyer

Hi All, I have 11 plus years of experience. Out of which 6 plus years in procurement. One year back I decided that I should pursue my passion in food industry. I talked to my manager and gave a notice of three months and started the business. Now since I do not see much growth that I had anticipated, I am looking back to jobs.

Its been four months, I am applying with limited response. Or I can say, no response. I left the last company on a good note. Also I served a notice period more than what was required. My first question is, how do the companies react on a gap of a year in your career? I have the conrtact I signed for the year to show my absence.

In my last place of work, I had to fire a guy in my team for unethical behaviour. And guess what, he got a job in four months. And he is still employed there.

My second question. Why I am not being interviewed even after I find a perfect match and contacted the employer? Why there is no reply? Am I blacklisted for some reason? If yes, was't the guy I fired a perfect candidate for the blacklist?

From India, Hyderabad
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Ethical Buyer,
Getting job is a matter of time. Many things depend on how you or your CV is perceived by the employers. When your prospective employer finds value in your CV, you will get job.
You are unnecessary linking your job with your one-time junior whom you had removed. These two are independent issues.
Are you from India? If yes, send me your CV. Let me send it to my friends. Are you open for taking job abroad?
Do not lose your heart, keep on applying. You will get the job.
All the best!
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Mudassar04

Dear Freind,
A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.
Keep trying & you shall succeed.
Having 11 years of experience, you have already proven your skills & ability. Remember you achievements & you can do it one more time.
Stay positive !!

From India, Pune
bagin_31

Hi EB,
Me too faced same situation of not getting any interview calls. I was employed in Oman as HR then I decided to quit that job as job was very boring which was in recruitment that too just calling the candidates meanwhile mother also got hospitalised so came to India. I was applying all over india for a job but failed. 1 year i was jobless wandering here and there with MBA+8.5 years experience in HR. Contacted all my linkedin contacts and personal network visited UAE nothing worked. Am married with 2 kids and without a job for 1 year. At last in Oct 25th 2014 (After 1 yr) got a job in UAE and now am in big trouble(many reasons) BUT NO choice trying to stick here for min 1 year. SO all it happens in life but we have to try & try thats all.
Regards
BVV

From Oman, Muscat
tvpranga@gmail.com
Dear EB for any entrepreuner this happens -when in job we think ya we can do as we know outer shell once we start our own then surfaces bottom line issues which we r not aware of or miscalculations on our part or outside circumstances - one main reason is in salary jobs we r inside box and when we come out of job we r outside job box we tend to spend to live upto our job level and later on we will not be receiving monthly income as job- so minimum two years time is required to settle in own business -we loose patience due to financial mess - job will come don't worry -by this time u r too gud in your business - join with identical partner to move forward .. Or job as per ur satisfaction levels as of now-
From India, Hyderabad
wadhwaindu

Dear EB,

I would like to comment on your situation as under:

Do not link your situation to your junior whom you had to fire. Do not bother whether he should be blacklisted. Think about yourself and how would you like to move on from here.

Different companies react to gap in service differently. However, in today's dynamic world, it is not a stigma. I have seen many people venturing into entrepreneurship and then returning back to job.

Getting a job is a matter of time and you have to treat job search as a project.

It depends upon how you write your cv,how you use your network to find a suitable job, how you research the companies you would like to work for, how you position yourself in front of potential employers, how you present yourself in the interview, how you present your learning as an entrepreneur during the interview etc.

You will have to make intensive and focused efforts to find a job and you will get it. Maintain positive expectation and confidence. Do not allow any thoughts of doubt or hopelessness to enter your mind.

All the best!

Indu Wadhwa

From India, New Delhi
ethicalbuyer

Hi Indu,

Thanks. I do not want to blacklist anyone. When I fired that person, I tried to save him first. Also, he still comes to me for directions. But my point is - Is my one year gap so much looked into that I am not even called for a interview? I asked for a feedback from a consultant on why the company does not even consider me for an interview. The answer was jumping profile. I have worked in three companies for last 11 years. Two years in the first and then four and half in the other two. Which is better than people changing jobs every two years.

Then I decided that I should follow my passion. Food. I hope that shouldn't be a problem?

That gave people around me an opportunity to make money in the purchasing department, apart from the CTC. Which I never considered an option.

I have now started believing -
1. I was not smart enough to survive the job.
2. My resume is not good enough - send me your email ids and I will send you my resume. Any suggestions are welcome.
3. I am blacklisted which I don't think considering my relations to the peers.

I am getting more desperate for a job the more I am being ignored. I am at a stage that I have utilized all the savings that I had.

Regards,
EB

From India, Hyderabad
yash.petkar@gmail.com
Hi EB,
Firstly i would like to say that please don't underestimate yourself. Things happen in life. You will definitely get a good job soon . Be positive.
Even i have an experience in sales for 9 yrs ,And a gap of 3 yrs . And now working with an it company as a hr executive . My cv also shows the same inconsistency in jobs. But never too late make strong cv henceforth.
All the best ....

From India, Pune
Hardeep

1) As said by many, your firing an unethical worker and not getting interview calls are unlinked issues. Many times , incompetent/ failures / unethical people get "ahead" in life - each of us walks his / her own path.

2) Your getting interview calls depends upon :

- Are you applying to the " right " positions to begin with. Within procurement itself there are many variations .

- Does your CV / cover letter within the first few lines clearly establishes your suitability ( in your mind at least ) for the position you have applied for.

- Competition - something you may have no idea about.

- Your ability in the Cover letter itself to convince the reader you are looking for a stable career and are out of your entrepreneurial phase.

3) You say you found the perfect match, contacted the employer and yet did not get a response. Perhaps you can simply call them up and ask for frank feedback.As well as ask them to keep you in mind for future suitable openings.

4) Try to keep yourselves updated in your field - even if means working / advising people for free. We life in fast changing times and a year could be a long time to stay away from the field you are trying to get back to.

5) Be flexible re salary , designation and location etc- although for large companies these are already well-structured, for smaller ones they may play a role. As already said, if you are finding a good match, you could even offer a trial "free" work period.

6) Get / update your network and references. Particularly people who you worked for.

Just some thoughts. Hereunder could provide some more :

How to explain Career Gap and establish suitability for the job ? - from My Top Job - Helping Top Talent to reach the Top !

From United States, New York
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.