Ismail Z Khan

Dear Experts,
I want to prepare a safety guide for new employees. I want to distribute this at the time of joining. I want to put emergency procedures, contact numbers, general road safety, general office safety, general fire safety, and general chemical safety.
Please help me in preparing this.
Regards
Ismail Khan

From India, Noida
drakileshr

Good idea, but a safety guide/booklet alone will not ensure that the new employees follow it. It is known fact that inspite of all regulations, rules and safety protocols given/pasted all over the walls/lectured about, new employees tend to 'learn' from what is routinely done. So, active learning process must be stimulated for best results.

Also, a zero tolerance policy must be put in practice to ensure these safety protocols are followed to the true spirit.

So, instead of just a safety guide, it might be a good idea to arrange for mock drills every week or month. Each week small drills can be done and one big drill can be done at the end of one month.

At each weekly drill, it will be a good idea to mix up experienced personnel with the new employees and to change. It can be done in the form of Corporate Games / Simulations to keep the spirits up and to serve as ice breaker for the new employees at the same time creating a safety education for all. This way instead of overwhelming someone with lots of information at the same time, the information is spread over a period. It might also be good to have recordings of such mock scenes / drills to be given or displayed to the new employee before he/she is allowed to work in the particular department / hazardous environment. Also one must ensure that the new employees are not left alone in hazardous environment and are kept with such senior / experienced employees who have displayed an acumen for adherence to safety protocols and are also open to guiding the new employees in safety protocols. A mentorship program would be ideal, I believe.

I am interested in hearing other's opinion as well in this regard.

Regards,

Dr. Akilesh R

Chennai, India

From India, Chennai
Ismail Z Khan

Dear Dr. Akilesh,
Great thoughts, I do agree the same, simply preparing a safety guide, displaying safety stuff on walls/ notice boards will not solve the purpose. Regular interaction is quite important. Hope our fellow forum members comes with other ideas/ opinions in this.
Regards,
Ismail Khan

From India, Noida
Ed Llarena, Jr.

Hi!

The ideas shared above are great thoughts to ponder and share. Indeed, Safety Manuals/ Handbooks alone are NOT enough. But simulations and drills ALONE will NOT also solve your operational safety concerns and avoid losses for the company.

Safety Management is a complex subject matter. That's why big organizations even hire Safety Managers/ Engineers to ensure that this area is seriously attended to and complied by everyone. This is also the reason why there is such a thing called Occupational Safety and Health Standards.

In very big multinational manufacturing plants, safety management includes the following things/areas/works: manuals/policies, meetings, simulations/ drills, accident investigations (both near miss and actual), accident reporting system, and penalties/ sanctions for violators.

Big companies know that if they do not manage their safety properly, their plants/ offices can get burned, machines can get damaged, employees/ workers can get killed/ disabled, owners can get sued and fined, and companies can get closed by govt regulators... if it is not destroyed by natural and/ or accidental reasons.

Best regards.

Ed Llarena, Jr.

Managing Partner

Emilla International Consulting Services

Manila. Philippines

Tel: 006352-742-0315/

From Philippines, Parañaque
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.