Anonymous
Hi Everyone!
I am working in a small company where I am taking care of recruitment, and employee records.
One of the employee who works in our company kept leave for 8 days in last month and now he is asking me to calculate those days as a medical leave. He didn't intimate me before he kept a leave when I call him he told that he is sick. Even at that time he didn't ask me for medical leave. He went to his home town and came back after 7 days. How should I treat this situation? He is the important person in the company and if he is not there all the technical work will be in hold we cant even run the business .
I'm totally new to this field. Please help me with this situation.
If we should give him a medical leave then what are the particulars we need from the employee?
Thanks in advance
Divya

From India, Hyderabad
victorjays

Hi Divya
The basic discipline can be never be compromised with whatever skills that the person is possessing. Kindly ask him gently to produce the proof for Medical treatment since the days of absent is more. You need to refer your company's leave policy. Be gentle and at the same time be very firm. Pl take guidance with your reporting boss

From India, Coimbatore
Ashutosh Thakre

Hi Divya,
One cannot simply prefer leaves as per their wish. You need to ask and verify the Medical certificates from him. Also inform the manager that this is to maintain the decorum in the business. One person cannot be over all the organisational policies.
Regards,
Ashutosh Thakre

From India, Mumbai
hari1988s

Hiii
Being HR you should very strict when it comes to HR policies.Make he understand and counsel him regards to the policies.For now ask him to produce with the medical certificate and mark him leave but be sure that next he will not repeat the same.
Harish Kumar

From India, Hyderabad
amirtha12varshini

Divya,
If an employee taking more than leave for 3days the day should be taken as Medical leave, for that employee have to submit Medical certificate , Moreover he does not intimate leave previously,so, you should not compromised on that and also, kindly check what is your company policy stating on that.

From India, Coimbatore
tajsateesh

Hello Everyone,

While all are right in suggesting to Divya that things need to be handled strictly, I think it's ALSO important to remember to be REALISTIC.

Divya is working in a small Company & she also mentions that this employee is critical.

Let's assume she goes by the advice/suggestion to get tough with this employee & the more likely result COULD be that the employee quits OR begins to resist action--without debating WHETHER this will happen or not, WHAT IF it happens--basically the Worst-Case-Scenario? Wouldn't BOTH Divya [as HR] & her Company get hit?

I would look @ it this way:

Step-1: Accept the employee's request [I hope it was a request--matters would be different IF it was more of a threat or abrasive act by the employee, which Divya needs to clairfy] to convert the absence to Medical Leave--as a ONE time action by the Company.

Step-2: Inform him clearly that this won't & can't be accepted IF repeated again.

Step-3: While it's easy 'saying' this, I know it's tough 'doing' this. As far as possible, never allow any single employee to become such a critical resource that the Company would fall IF he/she leaves or acts funny. To preempt any such situation in the future, I would suggest that some action is taken to develop a Second line as a Backup, just in case. Such a step not only acts as a Backup, but also gives off an unsaid message that no one is indispensable.

Rgds,

TS

From India, Hyderabad
rasikbhaikannan

Dear Divya,
You have very little role in the decision. It is basically a decision of the company as to how much they would compromise discipline for business. Companies whether small or big in yester years meant business with discipline. But today there is dilution of ethics for business which is sad and bad in the long run. Yet go by what your employer says but his decision should make you introspect to decide " Am I to work for such people"
Kannan

From India, Madras
Adoni Suguresh

Hi Divya Choudhry,
As far as HR discipline is concerned you should strict on the rules of the employment and do not prefer any compromise over the discipline. Your employee is asking the leave to convert into Sick leave, ask him to produce the medical certificate from the Doctor since his absence is exceeds more than three days. If submits valid medical certificate and fitness certificate you can accept this with a warning to the concerned employee. Since he has already applied for the leave and went and now he is asking for conversion into Sick leave. But he has not remained absent un authorizedly, then it is advisable to consider in the interest of both sides.
Adoni Suguresh
Sr.Executive (Pers, Admin & Ind.Rels) Rtd
Labour Laws Consultant

From India, Bidar
asbhat

such key personnel know that the organisation depends on their skills and tend to compromise with the disciplinary issues. The Owner tend to tolerate with it because he apparently has no choice. Developing a strong second line in every skill set is the answer to this problem.
From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.