cindylou
I work as a long-term temp for a company. Another temp, from my same agency, sleeps at her desk on a daily basis! Her "supervisor" has never supervised anyone before & has done nothing about it. Doesn't this set a potentially disastrous precedent? Everyone in the office is aware of this behavior and ignores it. A couple of weeks ago, she told them that she is extremely anemic which causes insomnia and therefore she's sleepy during the day. This sounds like baloney to me.
What do you think? Is there anything that can be done? In my opinion, she is making all of us temps look bad!

From United States
learningnovo

You can write an anonymous letter to the agency you work with. If they take some action, then it would be good.
If everyone is ignoring her behavior then how do you think it is making you or other temps look bad?
You are known by your work and not by other's behavior.

From India, Delhi
nashbramhall

Dear Cindy,
Atul Sharma has raised a valid question. I also suggest that you read the connection between iron deficiency and insomnia Types of anaemia and their symptoms I know a few people who suffer from Myelofibrosis that causes red blood cells. They sleep like anything even during the day. One might say that such people should not come to work; but who knows their personal circumstances.
Your comments reminded me of a thread I had read at CiteHR long ago. I searched and found the same. Please go through https://www.citehr.com/191460-true-i...l-trainer.html to appreciate that we should not jump to conclusions without ascertaining the real facts.

From United Kingdom
Anonymous
Dear, I have few queries:

1.) For how long does she sleeps daily? (For how many hours?)

2.) Don't you think that it's the job of her supervisor and he will definitely speak to her if she doesn't perform well?

3.) Why do you think that this set a potentially disastrous precedent? (Its good to be vigilant, aware & careful about everything at work but a whistle blower is respected if he raises his voice in extreme situations like sexual harassment, misuse of power, etc.)

4.) If everyone else is ignoring this, then why can't you focus on your performance?

5.) If she trusted them & explained her problem, then why don't others & you suggest her some solutions to cope with it? (Rather than creating another problem for a sick employee)

6.) How is that affecting your performance and growth in the organisation?

7.) What all steps you took to drag her out of it and make her aware that this behaviour is leading to organisational loss?

Now, Lets come to the 'solution' part:

Rather than complaining about her case to seniors, you can lend a helping hand to her. Sometimes, the colleague is the one who can actually help. Maybe you are the only one who can help her.

I think its not just about a physical deficiency only but she might be suffering from some emotional and psychological issues also. Moreover, there might be some problems at home or work too. And, if you want someone to take an action against her, then it will create more problems for the employee which I feel will definitely be a potentially disastrous precedent.

I suggest you to speak to her first and try to understand the actual problem. You just have to look from another point of view as if she really needs help.

If you don't find it working, then request your HR to counsel her and if possible, do provide necessary medication to the employee. Rest is HRs duty and they can issue her a memo also to explain.

(Also, if you really think that it's unethical on her part, then you can just tell her what you want to say through some stories; like, "in my previous organisation, an employee was terminated when he was found asleep in office hours", etc. This will warn her indirectly and won't spoil your professional network at office.

Moreover, there are many cases in history of Labour Law, where employees were found asleep and some actions were taken against them but it didn't put a blot on their resumes. You can share these cases with her- to make her aware that it's not right and she is supposed to contribute to the team.)

You can tell her to work on her biological clock, on her diet and exercising schedule as this usually helps in case of insomnia. Moreover, Meditation & JPMR can help a person to relax and sleep better. She can go for a quick tea-break and climb stairs 5-6 times whenever she feels like sleeping and then, can come back to work.

In the end, I personally suggest you to have empathy with her and try to put yourself into her shoes before taking an action.

Every person is fighting a battle in life and please don't judge anyone at first sight!!!

From India, Chandigarh
dr n k basu

I think she is a patient, hence she requires consultation of physician. If she is medically unfit, she should not continue her duty.
From India
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.