tatkare_finance2012@yahoo.in

Dear Expert!
I have been given an assignment:
Case Study:
An Organization is currently has 5day working policy. Now the Management has decided to change it to six days working. As HR Manager, how are you going to convince the employees.
Please give me your views.

From India, Mumbai
umakanthan53

Dear Friend,
I think the assignment is for you and not for others. So, it would be better if you put foth your views on the matter first, others can appreciate and improve them as well. Now, tell me if you are not successful in convincing the the employees as a HR Manager but your management insists on going ahead at any cost, how are you going to handle this issue?

From India, Salem

thanks for the opinion.
there will e two cases.
case no 1: in non manufacturing firm:one can decrease half an hr and put forward the idea of 6days working. Also on Saturdays, the employee will be given breakfast and lunch for free. Incase of employees who has kids below 10years, can bring their kids to the office.
case no 2. in manufacturing firm: the workers would like the 6days working policy as they are paid on daily wages. so there wont be a problem. So only the department handling workshop will e required and they will e compensated accordingly.
Please suggest.

From India, Mumbai
umakanthan53

Your expectation about the manufacturing unit is correct and feasible. But, in respect of case1, your suggestion seems to be mere appeasement as your mention about bringing kids to workplace suggests that the major portion of employees to be women. In case it is turned down, how you are going to proceed to implement the change proposed by the management?
From India, Salem

thank you for the valuable feedback.
In one of my friends company, not only women, but men do ring the kids on saturdays(only when overload of work). they have one kids play area and a caretaker. every three hrs parents are allowed to visit their kids for 15min.

From India, Mumbai
monica_p

I feel before you announce the amendment in working hours you first create a list of advantages, present it to your employees and then announce the changes in working hours.
OR
You can simply write an email to staff about the amendment in working hours, let them com in person to talk to you, you can handle one employee but sometimes it becomes difficult to handle a crowed.
Hope it helps!!! :)

From India, Pune
umakanthan53

My dear Tatcare,

No attempt on your side so far to answer the question I posed to you. Well; let me answer. Devising the schedule of the working hours and the days of weekly rest or holidays for enjoyment of leisure by employees or modifying them due to exigencies of work as per the applicable legal provisions is the prerogative of the employer. How ever, the change of certain conditions of work specified in the IV th Schedule needs to be introduced only after issue of 21 days notice as per Sec.9A (a) and (b) of the Industrial Disputes Act,1947. The changes proposed by your

management fall under serial nos 3 and 4 of Schedule IV. Therefore, you have to issue 21 days notice before effecting change. At the same time the rider clause of the same section dipenses with the said notice if the changes are effected pursuant to a sellement or award in this regard. Convince the employees to accept the proposed change and in turn get some reasonable concessions and failing which the management can implement the changes by just observing the provisions of Sec.9A.

From India, Salem
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.