dineshkumarji.dks

Dear Sir,
Would anybody please me in understanding the rule mentioned in "THE PUNJAB INDUSTRIAL ESTALISHMENTS
(NATIONAL AND FESTIVAL HOLIDAYS AND CASUAL AND SICK LEAVE) RULES, 1966" which at one place says: "During the first year of service a workman may be allowed not more than two days’ casual leave for every three month of service"
Now my query is that what is the meaning of first year of service? Is it the year in which an employes joins? and what is rule of taking CL in the next year.
Please clear my doubt
Regards
Dinesh Kumar

From India, New Delhi
maheshfaridabad

According to this act there are NATIONAL = 3 holiday FESTIVAL= 5 CASUAL AND SICK LEAVE= 7+7
From India, Faridabad

Dear Dinesh Kumar,

You are right in pointing out that Rule 5 of the "THE PUNJAB INDUSTRIAL ESTALISHMENTS (NATIONAL AND FESTIVAL HOLIDAYS AND CASUAL AND SICK LEAVE) RULES, 1966" stipulates that "During the first year of service a workman may be allowed not more than two days’ casual leave for every three month of service". This is a precautionary clause intended to grant the casual leave to the employee on proportionate basis so that one should not avail the leaves more than his entitlment.

As regards your second query is concerned,you have rightly guessed that it is the year in which an employes joins. As you must be aware that as you earned your salary once you complete a month.Similar way, you earn your leaves. As soon as you complete service of one year with an employer, eight casual leaves are credited in your account, which you can avail in more relaxed way instead of on the proportionate basis as done in during the first year of service.

I hope, I am able to clear you doubt.

BS Kalsi

Member since Aug 2011

From India, Mumbai
dineshkumarji.dks

Dear BS Kalsi ji,
Thanks for replying, Now it is very much clear but I have a small doubt in my mind. It will be great if you can clear it.
1. Suppose an employee joins in December 2013. Then How many CLs he can take in that year. As you said that the first year is the year in which an employee joins. But as the employee not completed his first year, will he get 8 CLs in the month of January or he will be entitled for maximum 2 CLs in a quarter.
2. During his first year an employee is given leave in pro rata basis and he can avail 2 CL in a quarter. But in second year of service as he get 8 CL. Can he take more than 2 CL in a month or not?
Regards
Dinesh Kumar

From India, New Delhi

Dear Dinesh Kumar,

Section 4 of the "THE PUNJAB INDUSTRIAL ESTALISHMENTS (NATIONAL AND FESTIVAL HOLIDAYS AND CASUAL AND SICK LEAVE) Act,1965" provides that "Every worker shall in each CALENDER YEAR, be allowed by the employer casuaI leave for seven days and sick Ieave for fourteen days" in such manner and on such condtions as may be prescribed.

As you have mentioned that suppose an employee joins in December 2013, in my opinion he will not get any leave for the year 2013 and continue to get the CL on proportionate basis at the rate not more than two days’ casual leave for every three month of service during the year 2014. From the calender year 2015, he will be eligible for seven days CL (not eight as I mentioned in my earliar mail) and can avail more than two days CL.

Regarding your second query, of course an employee can take more than 2 CL in a month. Sub Rule (4) of Rule 5 is relevent in this connection, which stipulates that except for emergent reasons, casual leave shall not be asked or allowed for more than two days at a time.

BS Kalsi

Member since Aug 2011

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.