amar.akshat
Hello,

I am based out at Tokyo, and I started working for a startup about 2.5 years ago. As of today I have become a key member in the team, almost inseparable, i.e. I handle 100% of the technical stuff in the company and manage partners and clients, etc. I've ofcourse worked very hard to come in that position.

Now, I've been extended an astounding offer by a Global Investment Bank, to work at a very good position in New York and Tokyo, with very attractive package. I've of-course accepted the offer, and I have resigned at my current company.

However, my resignation caused a havoc, and I am now forced to re-consider my decision. One of the prime reasons, I decided to quit was the overwhelming politics, and my current company has promised me that they will sideline all those elements who were causing creating that air of politics.. They are willing to take all possible steps which would convince me to stay.

Ofcourse, they should match the package etc. Now going forward, I need advice on how to deal with this.? Should I just move forward, ? If not, how should I convey my situation ? The Global Investment Bank would be very good 4 my career as I understand..

From United States, San Francisco
saiconsult

Hello Amar

The issue seems to be loaded with emotions apart from economics. First I thought of not venturing to offer even a view, leave alone an advice, looking to the situation in which you are in, thinking that you are the best man to judge. However I mustered some courage to mouth few feelings of mine on the dilemma, you are caught in thinking that it may clear some clouds of confusion in you .

As I observed life, when we started our journey of life, we might have found ourselves stranded many a time at a moment when we might have been caught between two choices- whether it is as simple as buying a chocolate of this brand or that brand to as important as studying engineering or medicine and then to go whether for marketing or HR in MBA and finally to opt for public sector or private sector job and it goes on endlessly. Therefore do not get perturbed by these dilemmas in life and they are part of life’s journey. We nevertheless made those choices in the past after deliberating on them with parents, friends, teachers and well wishers and I felt that you referred your dilemma now to this forum since you too want to deliberate on it to get some help to give some clarity to your confusion. It is this that made me to throw some light on the issue.

If the choice is between good and bad, there is no difficulty in making a choice, because everyone chooses the good. If the choice is between a greater evil and a lesser evil, then also it is not difficult to make a choice, since every one chooses the lesser evil. However if the choice is between two good options, it is difficult to make a choice but life does not allow you to keep decisions relating to it pending and compels to make a choice.

There is no denying the fact that it will be painful to leave an organization which you have nurtured from it’s infancy and brought up to the stage where it can stand on it’s feet. However the relationship between an employee and the organization is unique in that it is governed both by emotional and economic factors like compensation, self esteem, career prospects, job satisfaction and organizational culture etc. The relationship is said to be growing on health lines if the employee and the organization complement each other as partners in progress. The relationship is said to be souring, if the employee and the organization grow at the cost of each other. An employee needs to sustain or severe the relationship after evaluating the relationship in terms of the above factors that regulate the relationship.

In my view, therefore, a cost benefit analysis of this relationship with regard to your future in terms of the factors stated above vis-avis both the organizations on the following lines, can be of help to you to take a call.

1)Durability : Which one is the horse for the long race

2)Compensation : what is offered by both for future and the limitations, if any.

3)Self-esteem :which of the two is in a better position to satisfy your self esteem needs like recognition, acknowledgement as partner in progress and rewards in the long run. As money is not many a time a motivating factor, you need to evaluate the factor of compensation against other factors like self-esteem, self actualization needs and learning opportunities etc to give a realistic weightage to the factor of compensation.

4)Growth : Which one offers you better opportunities, in terms of building new competencies, new avenues of learning, expanding your vision etc.

5) Organisational culture : Which one has better culture that promotes mutual respect, mutual progress and gratitude and no politics.

You can also include any other factor for evaluation which you feel, has bearing on the relationship like trust etc.

Before I conclude, I recall a story which I read in some magazine. The story goes like this. There was a pilot flying a helicopter. He realized that there was some problem in the engine. Before the chopper would crash, he fixed the parachute to himself and jumped out of it only to land on a tree. Since it was night and dark, he decided to spend the night on the top of the tree. As dawn broke out(in the morning), he saw a man passing below the tree and asked him “ can you please tell me where I am ?” The man looked up the tree and told the pilot “you are on the top of the tree”. The pilot on the tree asked him ”are you a lecturer?”.Exclaiming, the man below said “ yes, how did you know?”.The pilot replied “because what you said is right but it is of no use to me”.

Like the lecturer in the story I said what I felt right and it is for you to evaluate it .

B.Saikumar

In-House HR & IR advisor

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.