aps7189

Hi, I'm an MBA student, 2nd sem. I'm at that stage where I need to choose my specialization and i m confused.
my main is HR and the second one which I intend to opt for is MARKETING.
will this both fields help me grow in my career or actually fade. Is marketing good for hr in an organization because I'm getting my summer internship in PRODUCT MARKETING? so if I go with marketing and after some years down the line I switched to hr will it be possible?
please help me out I m in a DILEMMA

From India, Vadodara
saiconsult

In modern business environment,the distinction between the skills specific to a particular discipline is getting blurred.For example, HR skills are all pervasive. even if you are a marketing guy or a technical guy at the shop floor, you need to have fair degree of HR skills of people management like communication, empathy, team building, interpersonal and motivation etc. when you lead a team. Similarly a HR officer shall need to know the marketing skills of selling his company among new recruits to rope them in from the competitive employment market and to negotiate with them to accept the offer and join the company or selling the HR initiatives to internal customers who are the employees and other supervisors & managers..Thus the skills are becoming transferable. Therefore you need not worry much about the combinations. You need to know as to which career you love to embrace and what are your strengths that help you progress in that career.You can sit and coolly think and take call.

Hope this helps

B.Saikumar

In-House HR & IR Advisor

From India, Mumbai
Ashutosh Thakre

Hi,
You need to know the area that really excites you. HR/Marketing/Finance all are fields that deal with People. People Management, in all these fields in mandatory. Therefore, all you need is to analyse as to what is really that set you apart. Do not choose a specialization just because you are getting an internship. You can still do the Marketing internship and chose HR as your specialization.

From India, Mumbai
infotech.tanaysk

Dear Friend,

Your Dilemma is Obvious. Usually at the time of specializations selections, situation crates confusion for almost all the students The only thing you should focus more on is your AREA IF INTEREST. I have done my PG in dual specialization in HR and Marketing. Just because both the section directly deals with people. It helps me to learn Human Management. Since my Passion was to deal with human resource and understand them both sectors helped me till now.

Similarly i will suggest you to go with your area of interest and Don't just opt. for the course since you are getting any Internship, as you can do better internship with area of your interest with much more learning and interest.

As my personal experience says, you will get bored or will loose interest if you simply will go for internship without your interest.

Although if You wants to know some combinations i can help you with below points.

1) HR + MARKETING:- Helps you to deal with the people with almost every sector. Will help you to enhance your skills in Personnel Management.

2) HR + FINANCE : - This sector mostly deals within the organization. Usually Combination of HR and Finance helps one to deals with Complainces and related Laws issues better than any one else. These types of people plays a vital role in Organizational Financial management functionalists.

Hope this could help you.

Regards

Tanay Singh Kulshreshtha

HR Executive

From India, Bhopal
aps7189

Thank You All for replying and yes it does help. Your suggestions are actually helping me to think on the straight path, however having said that there is queries i needed to address to you all:

Query(1):

I have an inclination towards marketing because given handful of years, i wish to earn more and get a successful career (not that HR does not give a great and successful career) and after 6-7 years down the line i ll settle down for HR job. Is this practically possible to settle down in HR job after few years.??

I chose HR because i loved HR stream right from beginning that is the only reason instead of taking general stream i took HR stream. And i m getting internship of HR and Product marketing both and i wish to choose Marketing which is why the confusion is there. Because if i take Marketing and do the job right now, will i later,down the line be able to switch to HR (if required)??

Query(2):

And if i take Marketing internship, does it make me sound unstable with my career options because i took HR as main stream and in dual specialization i am taking MARKETING and then clearly opting for marketing?does it make me sound unstable in front of the interviewer?

Query(3):

If i take marketing internship and still later (immediately after my 2nd year of mba) i go for HR JOBS, will this marketing internship be a hurdle in getting HR JOBS?

From India, Vadodara
infotech.tanaysk

Dear Friend,

After completing 6-7 years in marketing field, on the 1st view, no one changes the profession. HR and Marketing field although deals with personnel, but at the end of the day are two totally different segments. Even if you wants to change the field at that time, that would be difficult for you because your experience will be counted in Marketing field. You again have to kick start your career from the beginning, along with a low salary and null experience in HR field. So that's not a good idea.

for Your Second Question, Don't worry about the selection or Field. Choose the sector in which you are interested for the rest of your life and give it a shot. Although at the time of interview questions could arise regarding your selection about the subject, but it doesn't matters if you show your interest in the field you selected. Just give proper answer to the interviewer with all the confidence why you selected the field.

Answer for the Third Query is, Your Internship plays a major role in getting you a job. Try to opt the internship in which you are very interested and ready to continue in the same field, as most of the question interviewer will ask would be directly or indirectly related to your internship and the level of knowledge you gain through that.

From India, Bhopal
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.