No Tags Found!

Anonymous

I was working for an organization in sri Lanka .Recently i went to an interview in a Multi national company based in USA ,but sri lankan operations done from India.In the interview they didn't mention anything regarding a contract job-they mention that i can go for a great career which I'm looking for.Their Advertisement didn't say anything on it too .So it seemed like a normal ,permanent post (actually that's why i applied) .Two-three days later an hr personnel asked me to come to an test to check on IT skills .Suddenly on a Saturday the same hr personnel asked me to come for an induction on 31st March 2014 .So i went thinking at least on that day i would get the offer letter .But hr personnel said after the induction the offer letter is being processed in India & it takes time and asked me to come to work from 01st April 2014 .I was surprised by the way of a well known MNC.

As i needed at least 01 week to resign from the previous place i said it would be a dream only .Any way she was flexible for that .Days passed & i didn't get the offer letter .But the management from the new company called & insisted that i should join by 08th .So,after having a detailed discussion on salary,work times etc.... with their Head of Sri Lankan operations i gave the resignation to the previous place .But i didn't ask on any contract job as i was sure its a permanent one,he also didn't mention it & said its a job with normal company terms so no harm in accepting that.Finally i went to their work from 08th & met the management (top to bottom) .Finally the HR lady said "At last i received your appointment letter & i will scan & mail you "

The real drama was there!!!!!!Please help

"We are pleased to offer you a fixed term contract with............. Ltd., for a period of one year on the terms and conditions as per attached and as follows"

"This contract will cease to be effective from 8th April, 2015, "

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW??????? Please help me ASAP ,i have an experience of 7 years (been never on a contract type job) ,i feel they took me for a ride,though i trusted them. my email id :

From Sri Lanka, Nugegoda
VineetBhatia13

Hi Jaya,
To be honest, you cant do much now. You made a mistake by resigning in your current company without any offer letter. If the company has not offered you anything in writing, how can you resign ? Now, you have no proof that they discussed a permanent role with you. Anyways, my suggestion is that you take up this contractual assignment and then after completing 6 months, start evaluating more options OR discuss with the company to see possibility to make you permanent.
Wish you all the best.
Vineet

From India, Delhi
tajsateesh

Hello SitharaJ,
Vineet has given you the most realistic suggestion, in the given circumstances.
Even if the Offer was delayed [for whatever reason(s)], the least you should have insisted was to have the CONTENT of the Offer read or mailed to you.
You made the mistake of PRESUMING things.
Anyway, I guess it would be an experience for you to be more clear/careful in the future.
Since you say it's a MNC, even 1 year exp there would carry weight later in your career. Just join & begin to look for better [AND more clear] openings after 9-10 months]. By the time you complete the 1 year, you would something in-hand to change.
Also, there's always the possibility that you can bargain with this MNC then to be made permanent--many Companies do once they realize you got a better job/offer.
All the Best.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
Cite Contribution

Dear Jaya,
Do you still have the option to rejoin your ex-employer ? Is there any monetary value attached to this contract ? You cannot do anything else but join them and look for a job at your earliest.
If contract job is a stigma , best you can do is to change as early as possible .
You have been scammed into it. The only proof you have is the date on which the letter was issued. Thats your only way to establish your innocence .
Wish you all the best !

From India, Mumbai
sitharaJ

Hi friends,
I would think following info. would be of importance to you as well .The appointment letter was printed on 07th April 2014 .My start date was 08th April 2014 .HR personnel scanned & send me on 11th April 2014 .
Thanks

From Sri Lanka, Nugegoda
Dinesh Divekar

Dear SitharaJ,
Excellent suggestions have been given by (Cite Contribution) and Sateesh. There is no point in crying over spilt milk. I have following take in the whole thing.
Firstly, contract or regular job, our learning never stops. Take benefit of the MNC culture. Learn as much as possible. A person is hired because of his/her competence and no candidate's candidature is turned down because he/she was contract employee in the past. Develop competence for your future job should they refuse to extend your contract tenure.
Secondly, make sure that you deliver work output of highest quality. Force your employer to retain you. Getting quality manpower is not that easy task that every employer knows. Rather than you asking for extension, let the offer of extension come from their side. For this you have to gain the trust of the employer. This can be done through hard as well as smart work. Therefore, all the best!
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
boss2966

Dear Sithara
Already Mr. Satish, Mr. Dinesh and Ms. (Cite Contribution) had given you enough guidance. I would like to tell one more thing regarding the Contract employment.
This category is created only to run the show without any difficulty. All the company will have their own manning level. Some times due to multiple manifolds of the work, the company is to hire some more staff. The HR Policy might not have any permission to engage permanent manpower. Hence they initially engage in Fixed Term Contract basis for 1 year. On completion of the tenure, they will automatically extend the contract period and whenever the vacancy arises, they will call you for an interview and make you in the permanent cadre.
So you need not to worry about the Fixed Term Contract.
Wish you all the very best and success in the new assignment.

From India, Kumbakonam
sitharaJ

Dear All,
Thanks a lot .Because of your thoughts i explained my status & in a position to rejoin my previous place from next week .Anyway this was a good lesson for me to not to trust verbal promises .Also i can not work with the new place as they have broken the trust .If they should have told me initially of this fixed-contract its fine.But they hide all those & my trust is broken .
Trust is like glass, once broken....
.......it will never be the same again.
Thanks for all your support.I'm happy that i freed from this cunning Indian management.

From Sri Lanka, Nugegoda
tajsateesh

Now...Now commooon SitharaJ.
In the process of correcting one mistake & learning from it, you are making another one.
Not sure, but you seem to be taking Dennis the Menace seriously: "Never make the same mistake twice. Look for new ones" :-)
"cunning management" is fine.......but "cunning Indian management" only belies your way of looking @ situations. Pl note that 'cunning' people are there world-over. No single country or ethnicity can have a patent on this aspect of human nature--just as there will be BOTH 'good' & 'bad' people everywhere.
Suggest DON'T swing like a pendulum--going from one extreme to another in your mental outlook.
Such an outlook in life will only hit YOU in the long run......NOT anyone else--for the simple reason that this way of viewing [or rather painting the whole lot with the same brush] will automatically get extended to other aspects/parts of one's life [even without one noticing] until its too late to make amends/corrections.
All the Best.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
Cite Contribution

Nothing makes me happier than a resolved situation !
Thankyou SitharaJ. for making our day!
May your career be illustrated with great achievements and your work be respected industrywide.
Thankyou once again for sharing the result.
Our wishes with you !

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.