No Tags Found!

subin puthenpurackal

Dear all Seniors
I have a doubt in steel ropes which we are placed for life line pupose and it put on sheets at horizontally and its length is around 40 mtr and 10mm dia with steel core.Our sheeting persons 4 to 6 members are anchoring at a time in this life line.Can you explain the exact breaking force of these life line and how many member can anchor in this life line...
Thnaks in Adv.
Subin

From India, Delhi
raghuvaran chakkaravarthy

Dear Subin,

Take a look on attached chart which was clearly given a breaking strength of rope you can get the same chart from your manufacturer at the time of purchasing.

For example:

The chart shows for 3/8'' inch or 10 mm steel rope Minimum breaking strength is 12200 lbs per feet; safe load 2400 per feet.

So their is no problem in wire rope.

But as per OSHA standard Anchorage point should withstand 5000 lbs; may you will ask the question to me why 5000 lbs?????

But where did the actual number of “5,000” lbs OSHA anchorage strength come from? And why is it 5,000 lbs and not 3,000 lbs, or 10,000 lbs? My research has led to many different explanations, from the theory that 5,000 lbs was the ultimate strength of the old Hemp rope originally used in fall protection, to the theory that European medical testing showed that 2,700 lbs was the limit of harness force before injury took place (OSHA approximately doubled it). -- Explaination given by Mr.Arnold Timothy Galpin, P.E.

As long as a Competent Person (as defined by OSHA) can determine the attachment point can withstand 5,000 lbs without failure in EVERY direction that the forces will be applied, it will be OK for use per OSHA. This type of anchorage is called a “Non-Certified Anchorage” because a Qualified Person did not certify it.

OSHA 311 - Fall protection competent person required for million dolor projects it's not mandatory most of client's requesting to contractor now a days.

Note: Anchorage points must be able to support 5000 lbs per person

I hope answered your query.

If you have any doubt don't hesitate to contact us. we are here to help each other.

From United States, Fpo
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pdf Minimum breaking strength and safe load of Bright wire.pdf (20.1 KB, 672 views)

k-saikumar-rao
I need how to calculate of different types of wire sling rope safe working load.
From India, Patna
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.