Entrepreneur
I have 5 years of diverse work experience. Of these the last 2.5 years as a consultant through my own start-up HR firm. I then enrolled into a 2 yr full time MBA.
The problem - Until now, I always believed I had a pretty strong work experience and shall not have trouble getting placed post MBA. However, Things are now quite different than I had believed. Rather exact opposite.
The 2.5 years of entrepreneurial work exp. is not being considered as a work exp. by most organs. and as a gap instead. This leaves me with only 2.5 yrs of prior exprn, which are into diverse role and not into pure HRM.
I am absolutely clueless about what I must do now. I am looking for a role in recruitment (non-consultant) or a generalist profile.
Please advice

From India, Bangalore
Entrepreneur
I have 5 years of diverse work experience. Of these the last 2.5 years as a consultant through my own start-up HR firm. I then enrolled into a 2 yr full time MBA.
The problem - Until now, I always believed I had a pretty strong work experience and shall not have trouble getting placed post MBA. However, Things are now quite different than I had believed. Rather exact opposite.
The 2.5 years of entrepreneurial work exp. is not being considered as a work exp. by most organs. and as a gap instead. This leaves me with only 2.5 yrs of prior exprn, which are into diverse role and not into pure HRM.
I am absolutely clueless about what I must do now. I am looking for a role in recruitment (non-consultant) or a generalist profile.
Please advice

From India, Bangalore
Cite Contribution

Greetings,
I beg to differ with what you have concluded. Not that, what have been told to you, stands inaccurate. I believe , it needs to be set in the right perspective.
Industry per se adheres to the right-fit model for any talent acquisition. Hence, you received the feedback. However, to land a job which is best suited to your competencies, you may need to focus on what you are applying.
There are firms which hires entrepreneurs for internal ventures. An experience to start and run your own firm, have groomed you on a very wide range of competencies . Incase you consider us to refine them for you, please share what was your venture , what did you manage through it and what are the roles that you are applying for?
We look forward to hear from you.
Regards,
(Cite Contribution)

From India, Mumbai
inquizzitive
Hi All,

Yes, this is a typical response from well established companies or routine recruitment consultants.

I have also heard lack of MBA as another common reason which in your case is not true. An entrepreneur typically has to wear many hats in his venture but well established companies are looking for professionals for specialized skills so they typically tend to avoid candidates with prior entrepreneurial experience.

I would suggest you to target small but growing companies with extremely good management (in short successful entrepreneurial ventures) or look for recommendations from your seniors, friends, relatives or even B-school professors. Applying through routine job portals will be a huge disappointment as they have no clue about this.

(Cite Contribution), do you offer some kind of professional service/consulting for polishing the profiles of entrepreneurs and making them job ready? One of my friend is looking for that.

Also, it'll help if you can provide some routes/ideas to get to "firms which hires entrepreneurs for internal ventures"

Regards,

From India, Pune
samvedan

Hello,

You are asking for assistance and you request urgent assistance.

I need to understand first and foremost in details about each year of your work experience as HR Consultant, i.e. I would like to know the details of the functional or conceptual areas on which you were advising your clients.

Were your clients drawn from SMEs MSMEs, Large Coproparates or MNCs>

How many clients did you manage to attract in those 2.5 years, especially since at that time you did NOT have Knowledge, Skills, Hands On work on various functional areas of HR?

The fact you enrolled thereafter into a regular two years full time MBA HR programme, suggests that your clients demanded "more" out of you professionally and you found the need to upgrade/update your self in HR!

However, did you not particiopate in Campus placement programme at your institute?

Your "entrepreneural" stint of 2.5 years is perhaps not being accepted as "work experience" because in that phase you did NOT possess wither the formal education in the area you were practicing as a Consultant and were perhaps also short of competencies required by the prospective employers!

You have also not explained your complete profile. I understand that you have been connected with the profession for arould seven years(2.5 YRS as "own start up" PLUS 2.5 YRS "into diverse roles and not in pure HRM PLUS 2.00 YRS for your full time MBA-HR) Nowhere in your mail explain what were these "diverse roles and not in pure HRM)

No wonder you are clueless on what to do but you are also hones and therefore help will be utilized by you efficiently!

As an advice:

1) Your chronology should be spelt out unambiguiously for easy comprehension by the potential employers.

2) Your work experience should be explained elaborately where necessary so that the potential employers are not tempted to perceive "fake experience".

3) Attach documentary evidences where possible.

4) Provide references that are credible, known and respected in the filed. These could be your teachers, clients or agencies that you may have successfully dealt with!

5) Do not forget to state what you are looking for in life-professional and personal!

If you develope such transparent, persuasive profile and approach, you will elicit many positive responses. Let your compensation expectations, however genuine, reasonable or legitimate, in your own mind, not make it easy for the recruiter to leave your resume untouched.

All this may appear rather HARSH, but move on in life, your first steps HAVE to be modest, honest, credible, transparent and inspiring confidence of people who have never met you in person. Therefore kindly take all this in a positive spirit. If you do not like what I am saying, simply ignore this post but please remember it is loaded with best of intentions for your own good!

Cheer up!

Regards

samvedan

Janaury 30, 2012
-------------------

From India, Pune
Entrepreneur
Dear (Cite Contribution) and inquizzitive, Thank you very much for your response.

My venture was into staffing and training services. I rendered recruitment services to 9 MNCs (including previous employer) during this period and provided vocational training services to underprivileged graduates (over 400) free of cost (the initiative was recognized by Government of Karnataka)

As a part of my MBA, I have worked on several live projects in the areas of Organization Development, Training and Development, and Emotional Intelligence with large organizations, most reputed in their sectors.

Over the past two months, I have applied with many companies/consultancies including startup ventures for roles in Recruitment, T&D and Generalist. This was through portals, professional contacts and consultancies. But the response I received was the same as I mentioned earlier. And now, with the course soon coming to an end and suffering campus placement scenario for opportunities in HRM, I am apprehensive...

From India, Bangalore
inquizzitive
Hi Samvedan,
I fully agree with all your suggestions and points in the post. However, I would like to make a point that no HR consultant has an idea on how to handle the profiles of ex-entrepreneurs hitting the job market. They simply do a Ctrl +F search on some keyword and consider you as one probable candidate. Being an entrepreneur, you have to do a lot of tasks which you were never taught.
I doubt there is any person in this world who has all the skills or education before starting a venture.
Regards,

From India, Pune
Entrepreneur
Dear Samvedan,
Thank you very much for responding. I truly appreciate your suggestions and advice...
I am enclosing my profile including details about my venture, prior work experience and other achievements for your Perusal. Kindly assist...
Thanks and Regards,

From India, Bangalore
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: txt 1.txt (5.1 KB, 7 views)

Entrepreneur
Dear (Cite Contribution),
Enclosed is my profile and a brief about my venture. Kindly advice
Thanks and regards,
[QUOTE=Entrepreneur;1771986]Dear (Cite Contribution) and inquizzitive, Thank you very much for your response.
My venture was into staffing and training services. I rendered recruitment services to 9 MNCs (including previous employer) during this period and provided vocational training services to underprivileged graduates (over 400) free of cost (the initiative was recognized by Government of Karnataka)
As a part of my MBA, I have worked on several live projects in the areas of Organization Development, Training and Development, and Emotional Intelligence with large organizations, most reputed in their sectors.

From India, Bangalore
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: txt 1.txt (5.1 KB, 5 views)

Cite Contribution

Greetings,

You have mentioned the experience in silver bullets. Here's my request;
  • Please include the data of, what exactly did you deliver and what was the scale. Suppose you delivered process training for risk management, attended by X number of new hires. If possible, please mention the training cost of the program during the interview and how did you deliver to optimize returns for the client.
  • Recruitment projects require mentioning the skill sets managed, hiring closed and the duration within which this was achieved.
  • During interviews share escalations you have managed , with specific data. Mention the names of he leaders for further clarifications, if required.
  • Please mention any process improvement made or stated by you. Such as turnout in the referral programs improved through better usage of social media or your professional network. In your training programs , did you offer any post-assessment support for the red-flagged attendees?
  • Finally , please keep in mind, that the employer may take your words with a pinch of salt. Your entrepreneurial spirit may still remain alive causing a perennial threat . Hence, please make sure you frame your intention towards the employment , sealing every chances for entrepreneurship. If at all you consider to return, please offer the legal support such as signing Non-disclosure Agreement or so, as applicable for the role.

Are you still in Bangalore ?

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.