No Tags Found!

dilipsatpute

Hello Professional HR & Business Veterans,
Please find attached a very inspiring whistle-blowing watchdog entrepreneurial lesson in ET on Building Team Performance i.e. Five Ways To... Develop a Team that Performs.

From India, Mumbai
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pdf Five Ways To... Develop a Team that Performs.pdf (116.3 KB, 1302 views)

Dinesh Divekar

Dear Mr Dilip Satpute,

Just because the article is published in Economic Times, what is written in the article cannot be taken at its face value. Critical appreciation of the article reveal few loopholes.

Though the title says about five ways of team building, actually only four are given in the attached article. Now whether this mistake is in the original article or only in the PDF document attached to your post that cannot be said.

The author talks about the following ways of building team:

Set a Common Goal
Man the Team Well
Appreciate People
Celebrate Together

Notwithstanding above four ways, the very first requirement is that leader must earn trust of the team members. Without trust setting goal or proper manning, appreciation and celebration does not carry any meaning.

Mahatma Gandhi was Mahatma because he earned the trust of millions. To earn the trust, he lived life of millions of destitute.

The second important thing is team leader and team members should have sense of commitment. No training on team building is complete without reference of Mumbai's dabbawalahs (tiffin carriers). Most of these tiffin carriers are not even cleared their SSC exam. Yet their work is measured on six sigma level 6. They are living legend because of their trust and commitment towards their work.

In contrast look at the corporate honchos. They draw hefty pay package yet are unable to build their team successfully because they fail to generate the trust of their people and do not extract commitment from their staffs.

Anyway I often find that you upload the posts which contain the article published in the Economic Times. However, you may read, scrutinise them for their applicability and then upload.

Thanks,

Dinesh V Divekar

From India, Bangalore
nashbramhall

Dear Dilip,
Dinesh Divekar has made some valid remarks; especially the one about gaining trust first. The example of Mahatma Gandhi is really apt. The modern corporates and even educational instituion chiefs, in the UK, who justify low pay increases for the workers get awarded way above the inflation rate. So, there is really a vast difference between what the say and what they do. The Mahatma lived the same simple life that he preached for others.

Another issue of interest was your posts. I have checked your posts and a number of them are articles from ET. I wonder why you save them in PDF form and upload it. A betterway is to give a link to the orignal article. This practice of giving links serves two purposes: one, avoids accusation of unethcal posting. For example, your pdf file omits the name of the author (Five ways to develop a team that performs
Mahima Puri, ET Bureau, Apr 1, 2011, 06.27am IST); two, it may even miss out some info. For example, Dinesh has remarked that yours has only 4 instead of the 5 ways. The original article has 5 headings. Yours has one 'We', Instead of 'I' as the final phrase of the first item instead of as the heading for the second.

I take this opportunity to appeal to members to give links to websites rather than go to the trouble of saving them and reposting them.

Have a nice day.

Simhan
A retired academic in the UK.

From United Kingdom
skhadir

Dear Mr. Dilip

I second to Mr. Dinesh, who wisely pointed the loop wholes. No doubt, Mr. Dinesh had demonstrated his professionalism and knowledge pertaining to his "area of expertise". Whatever points/concepts/procedures/process, we may include for TEAM PERFORMANCE, TEAM BONDING etc, is not at all sufficient.

a) Man the Team well should also include EFFECTIVE JOB DELEGATION which is a great skills..

b) Supporting those members who are of SHY NATURE(down to earth, may posses hidden talent which need to be unleashed) and helping them to understand themselves much better than others..........TALENT MANAGEMENT...

c) I seriously believe that "INTEREST" towards their responsibilities/job or whatsoever may be, makes employees to deliver their best. But, MOTIVATION, APPRECIATION, MAN/CONFLICT MANAGEMENT, CELEBRATION TOGETHER is CATALYST for TEAM WORK which helps TEAM MEMBERS to gain TRUST among themselves, to promote interdependence etc.

d) TRUST can only be gained, if all TEAM MEMBERS(including team leader) understands each other but never should take advantage of individual weakness. Henceforth, UNDERSTANDING EACH OTHER plays a vital in TEAM BONDING. For example, unless there is understanding between INDIAN TEAM PLAYERS, they wouldn't have complemented each others WEAKNESS. This is what we need to understand our TEAM MEMBERS.

e) A TEAM LEADER & TEAM MEMBERS are held responsible for TEAM SUCCESS. My statement for TEAM WORK is

TEAM BUILDING + TEAM MANAGEMENT = TEAM WORK

Kindly read this case study - 8 management lessons from Dhoni for UPA GOVERNMENT.

8 management lessons from Dhoni for UPA - Rediff.com Business

TEAM BUILDING, TEAM BONDING, TEAM MANAGEMENT, TEAM WORK are the CHALLENGES for not only organisations, but also for FAMILIES, GOVERNMENT etc.

With profound regards

From India, Chennai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.