csoni27
Hello all,
Im newbie to this forum... plz let me know where will i find articles regarding Effectiveness of Training especially Team building.... whether team building exercises have really worked for companies???
waiting for the reply
Soni

From India, Indore
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Soni,

You have raised a little ticklish issue. In my last decade into the training field, I am yet to come across with any training professional or employer who could measure the training effectiveness of team building training on Kirk Patrick Model or any other model.

The result of the training on team building either inbound or outbound lasts for couple of days/weeks. Thereafter, it withers away.

Mumbai Dabbawalahs and Indian Army are the classic examples organisations who show teamwork without any kind of training. Recently, there was discussion on why team building training involve games. You can click the following link to read my views and views of other members:

https://www.citehr.com/306314-why-do...ml#post1386981

and

https://www.citehr.com/306314-why-do...ml#post1387645

(though above two hyperlinks appear same, the comments are different)

Training on team building will succeed provided the participants are trained on interpersonal skills, conflict handling skills, negotiation skills, organisational communication and so on. Sans these, the training on team building is bound to fail.

Teamwork is output and not input. It is output of leadership and organisation's culture. Leadership infuses the teamwork in the DNA of the organisation and thus it becomes part of the culture. If both these two are not conducive, the teamwork is bound to fail even though you train your staffs on the skills that I have mentioned on the above paragraph.

Thanks,

Dinesh V Divekar

From India, Bangalore
atulsharmabliss09

Dear Soni,

I am happy to tell you that Effectiveness of any interpersonal training program be it Team Building can be measured and I do it for all my training prgrams. [Dinesh.... I am one of the proud trainers... :) ]

The trainer needs to keep in mind the training goals and what it the purpose of the training. For this to be effective, one needs a systematic TNI and TNA to understand the training needs. I can site an example from my past experience where a client of mine wanted Team Building training for its team. After conducting the TNI I got to know that the team needs training for Team Dynamics. I also suggested the client to go for Transactional Analysis Training for the team to increase their interpersonal skills.

The results were like this:

a) The REACTION of the participants was 4.7/5 post the training session.

b) The LEARNING of the participants was captured by five case studies which were conducted online.

c) The BEHAVIOR of the team members was observed for three weeks. We called this process Impact Check. The supervisor was supposed to maintain a check list of some behavioral indicators of the team’s displayed behavior.

d) The happiness score (RESULT) of the team increased from 5.4/10 to 7.1/10 over a period of three weeks.

And there were lot of other benefits which came as a result of the two workshops. So, this way I covered all the levels of Kirkpatrick’s model. I am appending the happiness score sheet for everyone to see.

Do let me know incase you any more queries.

From India, Delhi
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: doc Team Score.doc (41.0 KB, 482 views)

Dinesh Divekar

Dear Mr Atul Sharma,

My paragraph-wise comments are given in blue font:

a) The REACTION of the participants was 4.7/5 post the training session.
Fine. You have fulfilled Level I of Kirk Patric Model.

b) The LEARNING of the participants was captured by five case studies which were conducted online.
When you say you measured participants learning by five case studies, I need to understand little more in this. This is level II of Kirk Patrick Model. Did you conduct test of any kind and were these case studies part of this test? If yes then test was of how many marks and what was the average test score? What was the passing percentage? How many scored distinction? How many failed??

c) The BEHAVIOR of the team members was observed for three weeks. We called this process Impact Check. The supervisor was supposed to maintain a check list of some behavioral indicators of the team’s displayed behavior.
You did "Impact Check" of the participants. This is Level III of Kirk Patrick Model. But then you could have mentioned what was increased or what was decreased. Have you measured customer satisfaction or any other financial or non-financial ratios? What was the pre-training score and what was the post-training score.

d) The happiness score (RESULT) of the team increased from 5.4/10 to 7.1/10 over a period of three weeks.
Gentleman if you look Kirk Patrick Model, then Level IV is not "happiness score", but it is business result. What was the revenue impact because of this increased happiness from 5.4 to 7.1?

Secondly, checking Level IV just after three weeks is too early. You could have checked this after six months at least.

Thirdly, have you measured cost of the conducting this training programme and what were the returns? For what time period you could get these returns?

And there were lot of other benefits which came as a result of the two workshops.
You could have mentioned what were those benefits and because of those benefits did operational expenditure decrease or more revenue was generated?

So, this way I covered all the levels of Kirkpatrick’s model. I am appending the happiness score sheet for everyone to see.
Gentleman work of Mumbai Dabbawalah is measured on Six Sigma, level 6. We need to have those kind of measures and not just happiness. In the business context, let me give you the following example:

a) Our plan was to reduce the spend base by at least 10% during 2010~11. As of now our percentage is 9.5%

b) We have brought down material cost as a ratio to sales by 6 percentage points since last 2 years.

c) Sundaram bearings has exported 50 million radiator caps but not a single defective piece was shipped!

The above examples or rather figures speak in themselves the teamwork. Business runs on revenue and not on happiness and we cannot stop just at that.

Thanks,

Dinesh V Divekar

From India, Bangalore
mudita.chauhan
As a strong protagonist of team based culture I would say that the basic purpose of team building exercises is to build comfort and trust within the team.
It encourages an environment where employees are willing to put in a collective effort to achieve a certain task.'
It helps employees to lose their inhibitions and come out in the open with confidence.
It also cultivates an environment of strength based culture where task is allocated according to the strengths to achieve high quality of work.
Regards,
Mudita

From India
adityamoses

Team Building training is actually a very interesting subject. I think we should always take the reactive evaluation with a pinch of salt. Research has suggested that the reactive questionnaire will generally have a higher score.
The learning part is very difficult to evaluate; and the motivated employees will perform for a few days and then go back to the old ways.
I have been experimenting with a training program for team building I unfortunately do not have the evaluation results as yet. But the concept is to based on using the Six Sigma Methodology for making a training program and implementing it.

From India, Mumbai
shridharb2004@yahoo.com

YES.....YES....YES.....it works but only for the Trainers.....only they can measure, deduce and analyse...for rest of us mere mortals,...who pass the Bill for the Trainers and hope that those souls have picked up some thing...can only console ourselves with the Fact that may be the cost of Mistakes done befor the Training will reduce and make it less painfull
Rest all is debatable...just like why you need great places of Worships and Days when God is avaialble everywhere and free of cost......
Regards,
Shridhar

From India, Mumbai
csoni27
Thanx to all those who have shared their experiences & views on this topic. It will really prove to be very helpful.
I need one more help... I'm an MBA HR student. I'm in my Sem IV. now as a part of the semester we need to submit a project. I chose training & development ... but i'm confused regarding the area of T&D which i should chose for my project. Plz suggest me some topics which would hold good for the current corporate scenario..
with regards
Soni

From India, Indore
blessedheights

Dear Soni
Veterans here would not be surprised at Mr Dinesh Divekar being able to
add value where others fail to.
A few additions that buttress his inputs more than anything else ------
1] The army has programmed its "DNA" that way BY HARPING ON A HANDFUL OF TYPICAL ""army values".
(or sentiments)
Once you make a group FEEL these, the group automatically becomes a team !

A>> "" If I do not do my bit, my brother / buddy /mate / ..... dies ...AND VICE-VERSA
B >> Sheer pride ! COLLECTIVE pride. !
(entailing an emotional committment to staying worthy of that pride)
NOW, HOW YOU CAN INSTILL THESE IN THE DNA OF CORPORATE TEAMS
AND HOW OUR TRAINING MAY HELP DO THAT IS SOMETHING ELSE !
HINT -----
Mr Divekar has already opened that tangentially ----
".... provided the participants are trained on interpersonal skills, conflict handling skills, negotiation skills, organisational communication and so on. Sans these, the training on team building is bound to fail.
""
2] An outboalund trainer who is an ex-naval officer SHARED HOW HE DOES IT IN HIS OUTDOOR PGMs------
It is not the games per se that differentiate him from other outbound trainers.
It is STUFF LIKE HIS
RULES, PRE AND DEBRIEFS AND GUIDED DISCUSSIONS !
Eg ------

At start of day-1 of camp, opinions are elicited on what th rules should be.
THEN HE ASKS---
What should be done if they are broken.
Now
this leadsto a list of punishments. NOW HE AKS WHETHER ONLY
THE OFFENDER / THE WHOLE TEAM SHOULD TAKE TAKE THOSE PUNISHMENTS -----which, btw, is
exactly what ALL armies do !
3] Have we wondered
how,
in the army, (to use Mr Divekar's words) ---
"
Leadership infuses the teamwork in the DNA of the organisation and thus it becomeso part of the culture."" ??
Lessons might be lying -- waiting to be learnt !
4]
Teamworking is not a GAME -----even though I have nothing on principle against using games in training
(I do so all the time)
Care to follow this link ?
Team Building soft skills soft skill
Warm Regards PS --- Thank you, Mr Divekar

From India, New Delhi
atulsharmabliss09

Hi Dinesh,

Thank you for adding your point-to-point comments. I appreciate your efforts!

I am happy to know your perspective on the topic.

As an external trainer I can only suggest a client my working methodology. In NCR 95% of the clients just need a 'one-day training'... that's it. I have to really push for effectiveness measures. Please let me know your viewpoint on this issue. In this scenario, suggesting them to go in for statistical measures and control seems a big challenge to me, as I always have tough time even getting reports from supervisors for Impact-Check.

Keeping this in mind, I am very satisfied with the work I did. I wish I had the opportunity to implement whatever you have said for Level-IV. In case I am the deciding authority, I shall definitely go in for ROI and statistical measures.

So, quoting a line from Kirkpartick's book on ROI: "Be satisfied with evidence if proof is not possible." is the guideline, i go with in such cases.

Lastly your statement -----The result of the training on team building either inbound or outbound lasts for couple of days/weeks. Thereafter, it withers away.------- is something you can say for yourself and not make a universal declaration.

Just to let you know that the mentioned program was conducted for 15 such teams and the company came in 'Great Place to Work 2008'.which itself is a big ROI.

Probably I am taking it a little personally as the tone you have used does not look encouraging or appreciating to me.... I request you to please give some postive strokes too while commenting on anyone's work...

I believe you are my senior and would always guide me for my best. I shall connect with you off-line. :)

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.