No Tags Found!

abhaygirish

Dear Seniors, How to make safety committee effective? Kindly provide guidelines. Regards, Abhay
From India, Mumbai
rtraman

Hello everybody

Making Safety Committe effective -

A few points -

1 - The managment should be willing to have a active safety committee. If the managment just thinks that having a safety committe is just a legal formality, then the committee is not going to be successful.

2 - The workers participation should be purely through elction and not nomination by managment.

3 - The committee members should be encouraged to come up with views and take active participation towards idea generation for making the work place safer day by day.

4 - The committee members should be educated towards the imprtant role they are expected to play in the sustainable development of the industry they are working in.

5 - The committee members, specially the workers should be considered as role model for safety and should be educated to promote safety by setting examples.

6 - The members of the safety committee should be released from their duties for attending the committee meatings and various audits and other hazard finding activities. If such members are working in shift duties and are not in industry premises during meeting hours, they should be given incentives in form of overtime or special bonus for attending the meetings during their off duty periods.

7 - The recommendations of the committee should be valued and implemented along with a mention of the name of the person generating the idea. This may act as a great motivator.

Hope more points will be added to this discussion in due course of time.

Best Regards.

Raman.

From India, Varanasi
dipil

Dear All
As pointed out rightly by Mr. Raman the success behind any programe is the visible management committment... This is the first and foremost thing is require even to make a Safety Committee Active...
Most of the Indian organizations making Safety Committee just for the sake of law... Main reason behind the failure of the saem...
Secondly the fear complex among the workers... If we commend anything, whether thats gone help me or adversily affect me... This can be removed by giving proper training to the workers (Committee members) and make them aware of the purpose clearly, which most of the organizations lacking...
Assign clear cut responsibiliteis and accountability among the committee members is one of the another factor... And many more...
Regards,
Dipil Kumar V

From India
amitsudal

For the Safety Committee Effectiveness there was a three days training programme by National Safety Council at Mumbai, I had Prepared the training report for my Organisation . Please find attachment of the same report
From India, Thana
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pdf Making Safety Committee More Effective.pdf (80.9 KB, 2074 views)

Gopinadhan Pillai

Dear All,

Let me share a few of my experiences with Safety Committees:

1.The law requires the safety committee to be chaired by the CEO and should include representatives from the workers.

I found that if the worker is not the union rep. he normally keeps quiet - afraid of getting into the management's bad books.

The solution we had gone through was to have a Management Steering Safety Committee that comprises management who sets the objectives, approves resources & reviews overall safety performance.

Then each department has their own safety committee. Then there are committees at operational level chaired by department or section manager. At this committee the worker/ the non-exec participates. We found that at this level the worker /non-exec participates.

2. I learnt from DuPont that in every safety committee, each member must be given a role to be responsible for in terms of safety issues - planning activities,monitoring the status and analysing the shortfalls. These are then presented at each committee meeting.

Otherwise, the only people who talk are the chairman and the secretary (normally safety person). The others just sit and listen- enjoy the tea and go back. Everything action is left to safety to follow up.

I am attaching a file that shows how I recommended a HSE committee set up for a Oil & Gas research institute.

Maybe these will help in making safety committees more effective.

Rgds

Gopi

At op

From Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: doc HSE Committee Membership.doc (47.5 KB, 1265 views)

dipil

@Gopinathan Pillai
Dear Sir
Thanks for your inputs... It's really helpful...
DuPont is aiming for a sustainable improvement always... What I learnt from DuPont is as follows:
"Each member is to be given specific role and responsibility. Ensure that when members come for meeting each one has something to say/contribute and when they leave from meeting, everyone has something to do."
Thanks & Keep on sharing your expertise with us...

From India
naga_manthra

For effective safety committee
Prepare calendar for committee meeting
Meet regularly atleasst once in a quarter
well in advance to meeting conduct safety audit
put boxes to collect unsafe act/condition from employees
address the safety audit and unsafe condition / act in the meeting
Display the safety board with accident free days, last accident, committee meeting points, action points to follow
make safety index score for every month

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.