abhaygirish

Dear Seniors ,
Pls guide.
1. What is meant by work permit
2. As per factory act-1948 where is the mentioned it's types & use
3. Which parameters need to be include in work permit? sample format?
4. Is work permit required sign of safety officer ( if one safety officer is
in org. then what to do if he is on leave)
5. For routine maint. work permit is required? any sample format?
6. Who is authorised person to sign. the permit as per Standard system.
and other information which is useful to org. with respect to work permit system.
Regards,
Abhay

From India, Mumbai
dipil

Dear Abhay

Let me try to answer you.

1. What is meant by work permit

Permit-to-work System is a formal written system used to control certain types of work which are potentially hazardous. It is also a mean of communication among site personnel to ensure all necessary safety precautions are taken before commencing such work.

2. As per factory act-1948 where is the mentioned it's types & use = Regret. Not sure about it. Types are as follows:

The types of work permits are:

(1) General Work Permit which includes :

i) Cold work permit

ii) Hot work permit

2) Special work permit

i) Confined space entry,

ii) Working at height,

iii) Excavation & fragile roof,

iv) Electrical work Permit (HT/LT)

v) Material lowering & lifting.

Cold work permit: It is first level permit issued for jobs of general nature not involving any special activities like confined space entry, working height, excavation, Electrical maintenance on HT / LT, material lowering and lifting.

Hot Work Permit: it is work permit issued for jobs involving activities which generates spark and flame. Welding, Gas cutting, grinding, chipping are few activities which necessarily should have Hot work Permit.

3. Which parameters need to be include in work permit? sample format?

Please let me know which one you looking for. I will help you in making one.

4. Is work permit required sign of safety officer ( if one safety officer is in org. then what to do if he is on leave) = No need of Safety Officer Sign

5. For routine maint. work permit is required? any sample format?

Yes. General Work Permit is required for all the job. Attach a sample format.

6. Who is authorised person to sign. the permit as per Standard system.

Minimum three persons sign needs to be in the work permit.

1. Job Executor.

2. Concerned Engineer

2. His reporting boss. (Permit Issuer)

Hope to get more participation in the post please.

Regards,

Dipil Kumar V

From India
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: xls General Work Permit.xls (18.5 KB, 6028 views)

hansa vyas

dear abhay, i m posting a ppt on work permit system which we use in our plant (CLZS). hope it will be useful. Regards, Hansa Vyas
From India, Udaipur
File Type: ppt work permit.ppt (966.5 KB, 5450 views)

Gopinadhan Pillai

Re Permits I have written a Permit To Work procedure for an upstream Oil & gas company in Sudan. It maybe of interest.
From Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
File Type: pdf 019 - Permit To Work.pdf (630.8 KB, 4135 views)

Kesava Pillai

Dear Friends,
I am watching the deliberations eagerly. Mr.Abhay posed a few questions. Mr.Dipil tried to answer one by one. Many others are feeding useful information. Ms.Hansa presented an easy to understand and informative power point presentation. Mr.Gopinathan Pillai presented a permit system in total which includes sample formats. However I still feel Mr.Abhay’s questions are not convincingly answered.
Can any of the friends make an attempt to directly answer these questions please?
Regards,
Kesava Pillai

From India, Kollam
s.sabalpara

Dear Abhay,

Some jobs in a factory are dangerous to life and therefore well advanced precautions are necessary before their commencement and till the completion. Hot work like welding and cutting, entering any confined vessel, working at height or on fragile roof, opening of dangerous pipelines, electric work and handling of chemicals. For the safety from such works a work permit system is highly essential.

A work permit system should cover following points:

Who requires a work permit ie. contractors, Engg, maintenance worker etc.

What jobs require a work permit ie. All maintenance jobs, tank cleaning etc

What type of permit are available

(1) General Work Permit which includes :

i) Cold work permit

ii) Hot work permit

2) Special work permit

i) Confined space entry,

ii) Working at height,

iii) Excavation & fragile roof,

iv) Electrical work Permit (HT/LT)

v) Material lowering & lifting.

Who is responsible for issuing work permit

Arrangements for recording the issue revalidation and retention of permit.

If one safety officer in the organization than only critical work like confined space entry, HOT WORK safety officer should sign. And rest of permits should be signed by safety coordinators. Sections/Dept wise safety coordinators help to implement permit system.

Which parameters need to be include in work permit? sample format?
[/LIST]
A] Hazards of the plant, chemicals, and work are fully explained.

B] Instructions are in details and fully understood

C] Work area should be clearly identified or Hazards highlighted.

D] In-charge of area who issue the permit should be competent and responsible.

E] Any monitoring including gas testing required before and after the work should be clearly specified.

F] When work is completed area in-charge signs off the permit stating that specified work is completed and plant is suitable to return to operation.

G] Closed permit should be returned back to concerned ie Safety coordinator/Safety officer.

Attached work permit format of our plant may help you.

Regards,

Sanjay Sabalpara

From India, Vadodara
File Type: xls sud chemie work permit.xls (109.0 KB, 2106 views)

dipil

Dear All

Thanks a lot for great participation in the thread... Surely benefit to all...

@ Hansa...

Presentaion is very nice, thanks for sharing...

@ Gopinadahn Pillai

Thanks for sharing the procedure on the topic...

@ Sanjay Sabalpara

Thanks for coming up with great explanations... Also thanks for sharing the sample of permits which you used in your plant...I am dis-agreeing with your following statement:

If one safety officer in the organization than only critical work like confined space entry, HOT WORK safety officer should sign. And rest of permits should be signed by safety coordinators. Sections/Dept wise safety coordinators help to implement permit system.

No sign of Safety Professional is required in any permit. Is there any law in India which stating the requirement of sign of a Safety Pro in the work permit...

The one who is executing (A qualified Engg.) the job is enough competant to access the job and taking required precautionary actions... Moreover its his prime responsibility to ensure safe job execution than the Safety Pro...

You can add the close for cross checking by safety dept. in the permit as follows... That means you can start the work even without the sign of a Safety Pro...

Cross Checking by Concerned Safety Officer

Above measures are cross checked and work can be continued.

Additional measures required, if any:

If Safety Pro found that any of the violation from the checkpoints during this cross check he is fully authorised to cancel the permit and for stopping the work.

@ Keshav Pillai

Waiting for your inputs mainly on questions 2, 4 & 5 sir.

Regards,

Dipil Kumar V

From India
kvsundaram

Dear All,

Thank you for the valuable inputs. All are good & the presentation of Hansa is excellent.

For Abhay questions - (which are not answered)

Q 2. Kindly regret, I'm unable to find the answer & I want Kesava to share his knowledge. I'm to eager in knowing the answer, since we are following this as a system.

Q 3. The parameters to be included - removal of all possible hazards like draining the line, purging the line, venting the vapours, etc.

Q 4. For the critical jobs, where there needs an additional supervision by the safety persons needs to be counter signed by the Safety Officer. These jobs are Hot / Cold works, Radiation works, Vessel entries. For these jobs, the safety officer should visit the area, find whether the permit full fills the working condition & get the results of the area inspection (eg., explosive limit reports, oxygen reports) and then he permits the work by counter signing. In the absence of the safety officer, the Plant Head has to sign the permit. These execution has to be taken care of the safety persons. In the absence of safety persons, safety co ordinators has to take the responsibility.

For other works - a safety officer will not sign the permit, where as the information about the job has to be communicated to him. He, during the execution of the jobs, visits and inspects wether the jobs are carried according to the permit & also whether anything needs to be added in the permit.

Q 5. For routine maintenance work - permit is needed. This question has the complex answers. If you are following a permit system, then yes, you have to raise a permit that is for routine maintenance jos. Some companies follow the work order systems, where you will not require a permit. Why it is so required? Every job needs a proper communication with the local operating teams, who is responsible for that area. So, a permit / work order will solve that. In your routine maintenance, you either require a system to be shut down or you will be doing minor adjustments on line. So a proper communication is required that you are doing a maintenance activity in that.

Q 6. The area incharge (normally for shifts - shift leaders & in big plants the area engineer) will raise the permit. He has to co ordinate with his associates & the other related departments to execute the job. He takes the full responsibility for the release of a job, by following the work permit system. The job performer (if it is the employee, then the employee & if it is the contractor, his supervisor) will receive the permit, by counter signing the permit. By counter signing, he ensures that he has gone thro' the permit & understands how a work is to be carried safely (incase of any spl. instructions).

Also, I want to tell some more about the work orders.

The work order is a information request & communicating media which will be issued on normal condition for performing a work. A work order will be accompanied by the permits (Class I & II or Hot/ Cold work permits), if the work requires a permit, based on the criticality of the job.

Not all companies are following this work order system. According to me a work order will be much easier for handling the jos.

Regards

From India, Delhi
Gopinadhan Pillai

Dear All,
Very interesting discussions. Good to see.
I always am of the opinion that a Work Permit is a tool that is used to manage the risks involved in any activity that is considered hazardous i.e. where there is potential for the hazard to be released resulting in incidents that affect life, health, property and/or the environment.
The best people to know the hazards of an activity are the line people especially the supervisors. They should ensure that all precautions are in place to prevent the release of any hazard. Their managers should undertake the responsibility for any activity carried out. So they should the approving authority for any permits issued.
The safety professional should not take away the line's responsibility & therfore not really sign the permit.
They should checking the permits at the work site to see whether the precautions specified in the permit are adhered to all times while the activity is being conducted.
Now comments, please

From Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur
Kesava Pillai

Dear Friends,
The discussion is in the right direction as I see it and the participation is quite encouraging. Let me try to answer one question at a time. The answer to Mr.Abhay’s first question “What is meant by work permit ?” is here.
WORK PERMIT IS A DOCUMENT OF
1. Task
2. Equipment involved,
3. Location
4. Personnel involved
5. Time Limitations.
6. Likely hazards to encounter
7. Precautionary Measures
SERVING DEFINITE PURPOSES SUCH AS TO
1. Avoid verbal Instructions
2. Provide written information on hazards
3. Spell out remedial Measures
4. Indicate necessary PPE
5. Provide check list
6. Serves as a medium of Information
7. Ensures best possible safety Measures to work in hazardous Operation.
8. Provide a sense of security for employees
9. Serve as a written down Document/Record establishing authority, responsibility, and accountability for safety at the specific task.
Regards,
Kesava Pillai

From India, Kollam
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.