dipil

Dear All
Industrail LPG is widely used in the industries for gas cutting operation and strictly prohibiting the use of Domestic LPG.
If we use the domestic LPG for industrial purpose, as per Liquefied Petroleum Gas Control Order - 2001, you may get an imprisonement upto 7 years together with fines.
Is there any SAFETY Hazard in using the domestic LPG in Industrail Use than the above mentioned statue?
Any other technical reason which prevent us from using the Domestic LPG for Industrial use?
Awaiting for your valuable reply's.
Regards,
Dipil Kumar V

From India
Mallik

Dear all,

LPG is a mixture of commercial butane and commercial propane having both saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons. LPG is inherently dangerous on account of fire, explosion and other hazards. This calls for special attention on the manner in which it is bottled, transported or used. These hazards can have an impact on both the plants and the public. As a consequence of this special emphasis has been placed on the safety regulations in its handling system design, etc.LPG at atmospheric pressure and temperature is a gas which is 1.5 to 2.0 times heavier than air. It is readily liquefied under moderate pressures. The density of the liquid is approximately half that of water and ranges from 0.525 to 0.580 @ 15 deg. C The pressure inside a LPG storage vessel/ cylinder will be equal to the vapour pressure corresponding to the temperature of LPG in the storage vessel. The restriction on vapour pressure is stipulated by IS-4576 which in turn regulates the lighter ends of hydrocarbons and this governs the design parameters for storage vessels.

The vapour pressure is dependent on temperature as well as on the ratio of mixture of hydrocarbons. At liquid full condition any further expansion of the liquid, the cylinder pressure will rise by approx. 14 to 15 kg./sq. cm. for each degree centigrade. This clearly explains the hazardous situation that could arise due to overfilling of cylinders.

We should not use LPG for gas cutting in industrial fabrications and other jobs. LPG is a mixtureof Butane and Propane only whether used domestic or Industiral.

From India, Mumbai
dipil

@ Mallik
Thanks very much for your technical explanations...
Its really makes me think...
Now have to find out more facts about the same...
Hope your participations in the forum discussions in future too...
Regards,
Dipil Kumar V

From India
Kesava Pillai

Dear Dipil, There is of course a major difference. That difference is in the pricing and other wise nothing. Regards, Kesava Pillai
From India, Kollam
dipil

Dear All
Which fuel gas (DA or LPG) is more SAFE to use for gas cutting operation and Why?
What all factors to be considered while selecting fuel gas?
Post your comments on the queries please
Regards,
Dipil Kumar V

From India
tajsateesh

Hello Dilip Kumar,
You seem to be asking so many details about Domestic & Industrial LPG that there seems to be SOME SPECIFIC reason, rather than just to increase your awareness/knowledge.
Could you pl share the reasons for your queries?
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
dipil

@ TS
This question was asked to me by one of my colleague... I fail to give sufficient technical explanations to that queries... That’s why bring the topic for a debate to the forum...
No other specific reason...
Regards,
Dipil Kumar V

From India
dipil

@ TS
The queries I raised was asked to me by one of my colleague... I feel like not satisfy him with technical explanations... Hence bring the same topics to the forum for a debate...
No other specific reasons... Just for knowledge up gradation...
Regards,
Dipil Kumar V

From India
Kesava Pillai

Dear Dipil,

LPG

• Low cost compared to Acetylene and easier to transport.

• Does not burn as hot as acetylene in its inner cone, and so cannot be used for welding. Propane has high flame temperature leading to faster cutting, lower slack formation and lower consumption of fuel. Propane, however, has a very high number of BTUs per cubic feet in its outer cone, and because of this with the right torch (injector style) makes a faster and cleaner cut than acetylene, and is much more useful for heating and bending than acetylene.

Acetylene

• Comparatively high cost

• Acetylene gas is shipped in special cylinders designed to keep the gas dissolved. Acetylene when burned with oxygen gives a temperature of 3200 °C to 3500 °C (5800 °F to 6300 °F), which is the highest temperature of any of the commonly used gaseous fuels.

Above absolute pressure acetylene is unstable and may explode.

With this you can realize that LPG is far safer than Acetylene.

The factors you have to consider in selecting a gas:’

a) Thickness of metal being cut.

b) Cost

A well trained employee will deal safely with any of these gases.

Now just try to explain how an acetylene cylinder is constructed and why acetylene should not be laid horizontally?

Regards,

Kesava Pillai

From India, Kollam
tajsateesh

Hello Dilip, Kesava Pillai has given a really in-depth technical reply. Guess it can’t get more technical than that :-) Rgds, TS
From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.