No Tags Found!

Rashmip
Greetings!!!

Dear All,

I need your advice.

I am a south Indian girl, earlier I was working in a Consultancy as a Sr. Recruiter.

I have recently joined a broking firm as a HR. There was no HR department in my present organisation and hence I am given a designation of HR Manager. All other employees of this Organisation are Gujaratis.

Two of my seniors are so far good to me. The problem I am facing in this organisation is that people at the managerial level do not speak with me in a good way. For instance people (managers) of other department are curious to know whatever I am doing. To site a example, we introduced signing of attendance in the register. for which a manager asked me "N" number of questions before signing that like "Who all would sign this" and similar incident happened now when v are introducing attendance software. A card was given to every employee along with a plastic cover, this manager just threw that card on my table saying that its torn give me another. This person is close to one of the Director's of the Company. (I have not told about this behaviour to my seniors who are also director's, as i believe HR is to solve problems and not bring up issues)

The other incident was that a director himself spoke to me in a rude way regarding some holidays for which i replied "if you being a director speak to me in such way what can i expect from others. Its hardly two weeks since i have joined".

Though there is no major problem right now but i would like to know whether i was right in saying those sentence and also guide me how do I cope this language distinction, as I am on a probation period now.

Awaiting your advices..

Regards,

Rashmi

From India, Mumbai
Santosh Iyer

Hi Rashmi,
I could really image the position you are in. In these type of situation even a male cannot work, but initially wherever you try to put some systems people will try to dishearten you, specifically the older employees, because they have their own style of working which they are more familiar & have adjusted according to their needs & requirements.
Anyhow, I feel that you should not get disheartened & sustain the pressure so as to initiate the systems.
WISH YOU GOOD LUCK. CHEER UP & BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. YOU CAN DO IT.
Santosh Iyer

From India, Pune
anu840

Rashmi
I can suggest you that before implementing any systems first speak to Director of the Company that how to record the system? who and all have to sign it, Holidy list, Birthday celebration etc etc., For every thing you speak to director, take their formal approval and start implementing it by sending a mail to everyone and marking CC to your director.
You may think for every thing you cannot ask director. But to run a HR department in a organisation you should have a support from management. until and unless you get support from them you cannot do anything. :?:
:D WISH YOU A VERY BEST OF LUCK FOR YOUR FUTURE ASSIGNMENTS :D
regards
Anupama :

From India, Bangalore
Samaira

A sad case indeed.
Firstly, donot lose hope,Rashmi.
Would it be possible for you to talk to the people who recruited you in the first place? You could put forth your problem which my be due to cultural diversity.
The battle would be tough for you,cause you 'l have to maintain your cool at all times.Do try to tackle any rude cases with polite yet firm confidence but do keep your superior in the loop. If your boos is a mature and sensible person,he/she would definitely guide you advise you.
You are right,HR does solve problems but we are human beings too.Its always good to discuss issues with seniors in the organization for better solutions.
Chin up,girl:)
regards,

From India
Rashmip
Thanks Anupama,
Nothing is done from my side directly. I follow the instructions given to me by the two seniors (Who are also directors).
And as you said, that i can take advice from my senior or talk about my issues with them there was one more such incident where a PA to chairman behaved very rudely and i informed this to my director but the feedback i got was "may be he was not in good mood that day hence he might have behaved with you in that way".
Hence i didn't felt like talking about the other issues with him. I understand this is my battle and i need to fight it all alone. But just needed advice how should i handle this !!!!!
Regards,
Reshmi

From India, Mumbai
Pushpendra Soni

Dear Rashmi,
I suggest you to formulate HR policies having approval of All Directors/ Dept. Heads, before introducing any system/ procedure. this will guard you by all these incidents, and if such conditions arises you can bring it into the notice of Management and take action to enforce it.
I have also faced some problems like yours, and since that was the policy matter i was able to implement it.
Yes, there will always be a resistent to change, but this the job of HR to make this change simple and acceptable by all.
Carry on...
Regards,
Pushpendra...

From India, Mumbai
Pushpendra Soni

A Good Presentation for you... Pushpendra
From India, Mumbai
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pps dont_give_up_493.pps (479.5 KB, 810 views)

Roopika

hi dear,

i can very well understand the kind of situation you are facing in your organisation these days, as i ve also gone through the same phase.

See if i say, most of the people in the organisation are tend to be rigid towards any changes, and in your case may be they are not able to digest you designation as your job profile spells out with lot many authorities and also as you are new in the organisation.

i would suggest you that before implementing any new and creative thing in the organisation u should better communicate this through a mail to all the concerned employees, go step by step

- first write that mail to the higher authority and also mark the same mail to all the Directors, and ask them to sanctioned that asap.

- after getting a green signal you should forward that mail to all the employees of respective departents.

- you can start your mail like....with the decision of the management (Directors, seniors and all) for this and that effective date, XYZ would be applicable/there in the organisation and it would be appreciable if you would follow the same.

- do write some appreciable and motivational words for them, to show them that this would be a write thing for the organisation.

Cheer up LADY..... :P

"Stay Beautiful"

Regards,

Roopika

From India, Bhopal
Randi

Hi Rashmi

I would give you two very simple but important advises:

1. Don't let them get to you. If a person is rude towards you reply in the nicest and most polite way. Like if a person throw a plastic cover and say give me a new, you reply: "I am so so sorry that this cover was torn I hope you will forgive me". First of all you will feel like a much much better person than him and secondly he will (hopefully) realize his way of talking to you. Positive respond will often kill negative respond

2. When ever you are preparing a new policy try and involve the management and the senior level. Send an invitation for a meeting or write an email about this to all and the upper management. You can get some great input and they will feel more involved and eager to make a policy work. If you then experience (as you will) that some senior members does not have the "time" to give input, then you as sweet and polite (see advice 1) inform them (and put upper management cc) that you are so sad that they are so busy but that you will have to keep up the work and go forward without their advise.

My experience is that this is a kind of a game. You will have to play this game and get the best out of it. But remember it is always best to be the "bigger" person, the more "mature" person in any situation. Show all your companies employees this (from upper management to the trainee) and you will for sure after some time get all the respect that you deserve.

I know it can be difficult and you will for sure fell like exploding ones in a while but this is your job. But do remember that if anybody should step over the line - like shouting at you etc. tell people polite that you don't like to be talked to like that and it hurts your feelings. Make a note of it (for yourself) and if it happens again go to the management with the problem. What I am saying is: try to solved as much you can on your own and only involve management when you can not see a way out.

From India, Delhi
HRprof
Hi

The best way to implement any changes is to get a buy-in from the people who will be affected most. Get together with the Director who is giving you a problem in implementig things. Give him the reason for wanting a change and ask him for his suggestions. If your thought of action is not one of his suggestions, tell him of the action as your suggestion and get his inputs on how he feels about it. Tell him clearly the benefits of your suggestion. So, you first need to know why you are bringing about a change.....don't just follow instructions. As an HR person it is crucial for you to be able to tell people why you are changing things and what impact it will have on them and the organisation. It has been proven through many researches that when people feel that they are part of decision making, they accept the change better even if they dont like it.

And, if this resistant Director seems to have a better idea then it becomes your job to sell it to the other two directors.

All the best!

Jeena

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.