No Tags Found!

rekhaaaa

Hi Friends,
Need help in building the team.
We are a software company and have couple of funtional teams. The organisational & Management are very supportive. But team members are selfish. There is no collective responsibility within the members. All deliveries are managers responsibilty . Mangers are people freindly& team members are taking advantage of the situation.
If one person goes on leave no one else is willing to take his extra work or does not feel that its needed. The general attitude is " Its his work let him come back after vaccation / leave/emergency and complete it "
Though everybody manitains good personal relationship, team members do no show initiative.
Kindly suggest wot kinda team building programs will suit .
Regards,
Rekha

From India, Bangalore
Harsha.Vasisht

Hi Rekha,

I am having to face the same in my organization. After much mulling over it. I realized that the managers have to take action and refresh everyone. You cannot wake up a person who is pretending to sleep!!! It is a manager's call and everyone must be made individually accountable. To add further, if a person wants leave and you say that everyone acts (I am deliberately using this word here) to be very friendly then ask the person who is taking leave to suggest an alternative person to take up his job, in this way either they use the friendly relationship to get one of their friend to take up the work. In these situations I have even taken extreme steps as to terminate one of them. I notice that others immediately fall in alignment, however you have to justify your act to all the others by calling a meeting or informally.

These situations arise when the managers have been doing all the work themselves and suddenly they start delegating the work to others. It is very important for the managers to ask the right questions each and every individual about their daily-performance and a stern feedback to the non-performers. This has been my experience.

Lets see what others have to say.

Best regards

Harsha

From India, Bangalore
micokrish
A few initiatives
1.A one/two day TEAMWORK workshop explaining importance of teamwork/conflict resolution/interpersonal skills
2.team incentives in addition to individual incentives-this must be paid separately to give sense of identity
3.Couple of team trats-amount spent is not importantat but involvement and participation of all important
4.Psychometric tests and feedback to participants
You can use FIROB/JOHARIWINDOW/EGOGRAMS etc
5.OPEN SESSIONS WHERE ISSUES TO BE brainstormed without inhibitions
HR must facilitate this.Only official issues to be discussed-issues not personalities
6.Individual coaching/counselling/mentoring to NON TEAM ORIENTED engineers by manager along with Hr
All the best
regards.micokrish

From India, Bangalore
sidhu1972

Dear Freinds,
Don't write bookish reference.
Pls check the News Paper- "The Hindu" dated 4th Nov-2005.
Topic- "Traits of successful Teams"
Pls check and apply the same in your organisation.
Regards
Sidheshwar

From India, Bangalore
rekhaaaa

Hi Friends,

My question is will a one/two day worshop instill the sense of responsibility in the team. Am not just looking at a team building program and then hope things will fall in place. But a solution for the whole problem.

Based of the suggestion i recieved from the HR fraternity , I have done the following

1. Identified the team

2. Made indivividual profiles of the team members (Academic & professional)

3. Suggested the Manager to have Team meetings every morning for 10 minutes.

4.Have Daily morning team meeting at 10.00 am

Agenda for the meeting :

- Review of the Project

- Review of yesterday’s tasks

- Assign task for the day /week

- Let team members give deadline in the presence of the team.

- The task and the process complimented with their individual role to be brought out at the session.

- Any general discussion that the team member wants to discuss

On achieving a milestone appreciate the efforts as a team and also individuals in the presence of the team.

Manager only monitors the process.

The task and goal is set by the team.

So friends let me know whether am on the right path and also wot more can i do to instill the team spirit

Thanx

Rekha

From India, Bangalore
sidhu1972

Now pblm :

1) But team members are selfish. , means team is working but not in effective way?????? Suggestion:- Implement MBO method. Not 100% but it should be partly.

2) All deliveries are managers responsibilty . Naturally managers are responsible bze they are managers.........Suggestion:-make policy and get approved by CEO for JOB ROTATION within dept..........................

3) If one person goes on leave no one else is willing to take his extra work or does not feel that its needed. The general attitude is " Its his work let him come back after vaccation / leave/emergency and complete it " means lack of coordination and cooperation. Suggestion:- Issue circular departmentwise not to affect any work while person will be outstation/sick/leave etc........failing which action will be taken for non-completion of work/target.

4) General Suggestion: a) Formal Induction programme for new comer by SENIOR OFFICERS not by HR Executive. HR Executive will induct but after senior officer. b) Arrange get-together program keeping in mind of economy(family oriented) c) Show AUDIO-VISUAL giving example of "TEAM WORK within ANTS" d) Implement evaluation process of work done.

SO MANY THINGS TO BUILD TEAM WORK...........BUT YOU MAKE EVERYBODY RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLETION OF WORK WITHIN THE DEPARTMENT.

Regards

Sidheshwar

From India, Bangalore
micokrish
Dear Rekhaa
your ideas will be of much help in role and goal clarity.
Additionally you must have some meetings/gettogethers in INFORMal environment.
A session of FIROB/JOHARIWINDOW/TA will help one to realise their shortcomings if any and give structured improvement action plans.
Formal group meetings must be followed up by Manger with individual meetings-with "problem employees" to clarify goals/roles/resources.
Linking teamperformance to incentives/performance appraisal is something which I have implemented succesfully in many companies where I offer consultancy. Discuss with your top mgt and introduce a team performance based incentive scheme-will be definitely helpful All the best in your teambuilding efforts
micokrish

From India, Bangalore
PraveenIP

Dear Rekha
I believe you are on the right path as of now. I do face similar problems in our office. Some times I preach and follow Adolf Hitler to get a few things moving as inspite of our recommendations things dont move.
The steps you have taken are the ones which we actually need to follow religiously. It does so happen that after a few days people tend to take these meetings lightly. Most important is the manager has to make use of this opportunity you have created to take better control of his team. Every member can be made to take up some one else's job as long as he is convinced by the manager to do it.
We face similar situations many times and we overcome these resistances by addressing to the employee. In many cases I sit in front of the manager to get him to address these issues then and there.
Let us know how successful the series of changes you mentioned are after some time.
Regards
Praveen

From India
Sushant
Hi, 1. It is highly unlikely that all team members "are taking advantage of the situation". Surely, there will be at least one person in each team who is not as irresponsible as the others.
From India, Hyderabad
ani_roz
Hi,
What I feel is there is something lacking from the manager's end. Though they are very friendly, there is a lack of control. First of all then the managers need to handle things professionally. Wherein the team-members do not take their manager's friendly behaviour for granted. I think the way of handling the team needs to improved. The manager needs to make it clear to his team that what is his or the organization's exact expectation. And secondly some kind of team building activity should be undertaken.
Please comment.
Anita

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.