tsmcharlesmba

Dear Members I want to know the exact difference between recruitment and selection. Please help me in this regard. Regards Charles.P
From India, Madras
Vyakhya

Hi Charles,
Recruitment and Selection are two intereraletd function but yet different
Recruitment comes first and is followed by Selection.
Recruitment is positive process while Selection is a negative process.
Recruitment is calling large pool of candidates while Selection is choosing the suitable candidate.
These are the major difference that I know
Regards
Srishti

From India, Bangalore
archnahr

Hi CHARLES P.,

The points of difference betweent he two given by Srishti is correct, to have a better understanding the details are as follows:

RECRUITMENT

Recruitment refers to the process of finding possible candidates for a job or function, undertaken by recruiters. It may be undertaken by an employment agency or a member of staff at the business or organization looking for recruits. Advertising is commonly part of the recruiting process, and can occur through several means: through newspapers, using newspaper dedicated to job advertisement, through professional publication, using advertisements placed in windows, through a job center, through campus interviews, etc.

Suitability for a job is typically assessed by looking for skills, e.g. communication skills, typing skills, computer skills. Evidence for skills required for a job may be provided in the form of qualifications (educational or professional), experience in a job requiring the relevant skills or the testimony of references. Employment agencies may also give computerized tests to assess an individual's "off-hand" knowledge of software packages or typing skills. At a more basic level written tests may be given to assess numeracy and literacy. A candidate may also be assessed on the basis of an interview. Sometimes candidates will be requested to provide a résumé (also known as a CV) or to complete an application form to provide this evidence.

SELECTION

Selection is the process used to identify and hire individuals or groups of individuals to fill vacancies within an organization. Often based on an initial job analysis, the ultimate goal of personnel selection is to ensure an adequate return on investment--in other words, to make sure the productivity of the new hire warrants the costs spent on recruiting and training that hire.

Several screening methods exist that may be used in personnel selection. Examples include the use of minimum or desired qualifications, resume/application review, oral interviews, work performance measures (e.g., writing samples), and traditional tests (e.g., of job knowledge).

The field of personnel selection has a long history and is associated with several fields of research and application, including human resources and industrial psychology.

Hope this will help you in understanding the difference between Selection and Recruitment.

Cheers

Archna

From India, Delhi
chand basha
hi my name is chand iam doing a project on Recruitment and Selection in a.p tourism iwnt what r the techniques recently used by hr managers to select clientsand name some process

paru

hi Charles to make long story short frm the points discussed by Shrishti and Archana,
Recruiting is after selection.
for eg...
A company need 10 new people in procurement department.
the company may call people for interviews out of 25 candidates they select 15 best candidates who qualify for the position.Now that is selection.
Out of 15 as they only want 10 candidates, so they will recruit 10 best canadidate who will suit their requirement perfect
for your further guidance Check out the link below:
http://open.ac.uk <link updated to site home>
comment if u like my post !
n cheers for this n njoy!

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
HR.VK

Hi Charles,
Recruitment and selection may be termed as the backbone of an effective and productive Human Capital for any organisation.
There are vide difference of opinion of whether Recruitment and Selection are one and same or different ones.
Recruitment is the process of finding potential candidates for a Job.
while
Selection is the process of selecting the right person for the right job.
When there is a Job Opening,
Step 1 - Recruitment
* publish ads to let others know of the job openings.
* Invite applications from various sources like consultants, referrals, online portals etc,
* Screening of resumes
* Filter candidates who may be suitable for that particular job.
Setp 2 - Selection
* Conduct Interviews
* Reference checks
* Select the best of the best from the rest.
If any one feel that I have made a mistake please do let me know.
Regards
Vasanth
99401 58323

From India, Pune
osha_shetty2003
recruitment and selection
recruitment - defining specification
selection-selecting candiddates
defining specifications- job specifications and person specification
selecting candidates- interviewing, communicating and offers

From India, Mumbai
himanshu1681

Hi all !!!
I would like to point out one thing here. HR.VK , don't u think screening resumes and filtering candidates is a part of Selection rather than Recruitment...? Correct me if i am wrong.

From India, Gurgaon
Hansjeet
Good Evening,
Recruitment
It is the procedure of inducing more and more suitable candidates for the required job.
Selection
On the other hand, selection is procedure of selecting the best suitable candidate from among the induced candidates for the that particular job.
Respects & Regards
Hansjeet

From India, Ludhiana
meangirl
Hi

You can see same topic at the side bar of this site. You can find out some thing same your questions.

I sent some good materials to Tommy, pls read mail and give feedback.
Apart from that, you also ref more information at: Recruitment and selection Books
Rgs

From Vietnam, Hanoi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.