Leave Policy must cover both the mentioned types of leaves-entitlements, eligibilities and the rules. But if you mean, by clubbing, that a given quantum of leave may be utilized either as Casual Leave or as Sick Leave, that is not advisable for the following reasons:
1) While no law requires an employer to provide for Sick Leave, The Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act 1946 throught he Model Standing Orders provided therein, require an employer to grant Casual Leave in conformity with satipulations made therein. The law however has NOT provided the quantum of Casual Leave that must ge provided for by an employer.
2) Therefore the quantum of Casual Leave is a question to be decided by the employer as his prerogative.
3) Sick Leave is NOT provided under any law and therefore an employer is NOT obliged to grant any Sick Leave. Even under the Employees State Insurance Act and the Scheme thereunder when an employee remains absent by producing a sick certificate from the panel doctor etc., in the employer's books his absence is treated and marked as "without pay" (albeit as authorized absence) and the employee gets "sickness benefit(!)" from the ESC corporation.
4) On other types of leaves the law is clear and gives an employer limited lee-way!
5) It is best, therefore to maintain an "account" for each type of leave separately and not club them! Also when you examin the causes of absenteeism of an employee, it is easy to compile data for each type of leave for objective analysis.
I suppose your questions are answered.
January 6, 2006
The question asked here is whether we can club CL with Sick Leave. It all depends upon the policy of the Company.
In some places maternity leave cannot be combined with any other leave.
In some places CL cannot be combined with Annual Leave.
According to me CL and Sick Leave can be combined. Normally the accepted number of days of casual leave is 12 days and the Sick leave is 20 days with half pay (a facility exists for employees to avail 10 full days).
In some companies the unavailed sick leave beyond 60 days are being converted to Annual Leave.
Some places the Sick leave can be accumulated upto 300 days.
Found This Useful? +Vote Up This Page Via Google.
Why Vote? User validation is extremely important for good content to prosper.
Disclaimer: This network and the advice provided in good faith by our members only facilitates as a direction towards the actions necessary. The advice should be validated by proper consultation with a certified professional. The network or the members providing advice cannot be held liable for any consequences, under any circumstances.
Explore Topical Knowledge Areas
Topic Categories >> annual leave casual leave casual leaves company policy employees state insurance employees state insurance act leave policy Location-India-Visakhapatnam maternity leave model standing orders number of days paid leaves sick leave sick leaves standing orders type of leave Complete List Of Categories
Interesting Relevant Discussions