Can anyone please tell me whether there is any limit towards the amount that a dependant will get under EDLI. Actually, can anyone explain the EDLI scheme especially the calculation part of it with an e.g. I have seen few posts with regards to EDLI, but still I have some clarifications.
(1)uniform coverage of Rs.62000/- for each member.
(2) AN insurence coverage with a minimum of Rs. 5000/- & Maximum Rs.62000/- (in multiplies of Rs1000/-) based on estimated PF balances,in such a way that the Insurence Coverage,shall in no case be less than what is payable under EDLIs of 1976 increased by a sume of atleast Rs.2000/-.
All employees to whom the Employee's Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provision Act , 1952 applies, have a Statutory liability to subscribe to Employee's Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme, 1976 to provide for the benefit of Life insurance to all their employees. Under the scheme as amended with effect from 24th June,2000 the insurance benefit is equal to the average balance to the credit of the deceased employee in the Provident Fund during the last 12 months, provided that where such balance exceeds Rs.35,000, insurance cover would be equal to Rs.35,000 plus 25% of the amount in excess of Rs.35,000 subject to a maximum of Rs.60,000. Thus if the lenth of service is not adequate and/ or the salary is low the average balance may be substantially less and such the benefit to the employee's family is either inadequate or non-existent.
The contribution @ 0.50% of each employee's salary is payable by the Employer to the Provident Fund Authorities.
THE BETTER ALTERNATIVE:
However, under Sec. 17(2A) of the act, the employer may be exempted from consulting to this scheme, if he/she has provided for better insurance benefits through alternative scheme. LIC's Group Insurance Scheme in lieu of EDLI has been accepted as one such better alternative.
ADVANTAGES TO THE EMPLOYER :
1. The premium payable by the employer is usually less than the total contribution being paid by the employer to R.P.F.C; particularly when the salary level is high and average age of the group is low.
2. Settlement of claim is quicker, LIC requires only the death certificate and the Claim Form from the employer.
3. Premium paid by the employer is treated as normal business expenses for Income-Tax purpose.
ADVANTAGES TO THE EMPLOYEE:
Each employee is covered for a sum assured ranging between 5,000 to 62,000 depending upon the current salary and service put in from day one irrespective of the actual balance in the Provident Fund. Alternatively every employee/ worker can be covered for a uniform sum assured of Rs.62,000.
Double accident benefit can be allowed to the extent of the Sum Assured for an extra Premium @ Rs.0.75 per thousand Sum Assured per annum. Double accident cover under all group Schemes taken together should not exceed Rs.4.5 lacs.
STEPS TO INTRODUCE THE SCHEME:
1. Put up notice for the knowledge of the employees that you are going in for LIC's Scheme in lieu of EDLI.
2. Apply to the Regional Provident Fund Commissioner under Sec.17 (2A) of the E.P.F. and M.P. Act 1952 to exempt you from EDLI Scheme. The application should be accompanied by the prescribed requirements including the Rules of the Proposed Group Insurance scheme. Central PF Commissioner, has authorized the R.P.F.C. to grant exemption from the 1st of the month in which the application for relaxation is submitted. LIC also offers necessary guidance to the employers for seeking relaxation.
EDLI Scheme amended: In effect, on death during employment, Family member/nominee will get the following:
- if Average balance is more than Rs.50,000/-
- then Insurance Amount = Rs. 50,000/- + 40% (Excess), subject to Rs. 1,00,000/-
EDLI is the abbreviation of Employees' Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme. Here deposit means average deposit in EPF. When an employee dies while in service, family will get some compensation based on his/her deposit. To get the claim, the employer has to pay 0.5% as its premium.
1. Determination of Deposit.
Average of deposit of last twelve months as well as total service, will be calculated and whichever is less being taken for the calculation.
2. Determination of Compensation.
Upto Rs. 50,000/- he will get actual. Beyond first 50,000/- he will get 40% of the rest; subject to ceiling of Rs. 100,000/-.
Eg. a) Deposit Rs. 100,000
For 1st 50000 - 50000, Next 50000 - 20000
Total - Rs. 70,000 (will get full amount as it is not more than 100,000).
Eg. b) Deposit Rs. 200,000
For 1st 50000 - 50000, Next 150,000 - 60000
Total - Rs. 110000 (will get Rs.100,000 only as it ecxeeds 100,000).
Eg. c) Deposit Rs. 300,000
For 1st 50000 - 50000, Next 250,000 - 100,000
Total - Rs. 150,000 (will get Rs. 100,000 only as it exeeds 100,000/-)
But there is better Insurance schemes with the same premium, even without cosidering the deposits. With this type of better benefits, some of the organisations are exempted from EDLI. Instead they are providing in lieu of EDLI. There are schemes which specifies more than 100,000/- for natuaral death and double benefits for accidental death.
Abbas.P.S, ITI Ltd, Palakkad 678 623.
Ph. +91 9447 467 667
(ii) the amount of benefit under sub para(1),whichever is higher.
The amount in sub para (1) is the amount that was amended vide notification dt 18.6.2010 i.e. Rs.One lakh.
The impact of this amendment appears that the benefit has been revised to 6500X20= 130000.For an exempted establishment ,the insurance cover has to be equal to or exceed this amount.Thus ,the policy coverage revision appears necessary for such establishment.I invite confirmation of the above position from the experts.
Why Vote? User validation is extremely important for good content to prosper.