Basic/da calculation based on consumer index - cpi points Xls Download

kanaka Started The Discussion:

Deal All, I would to know the Basic/DA calculation based on consumer index. Please help me - urgent regards kanaka

kavithasere -  Member Since: Apr 2006
Deal All, Hi, If you have got the reply please forward to my mail regards Kavi

raja_gk -  Member Since: Jun 2006
Dear Kanaka,

I refer to your query relating to Basic / DA computation and assume that this is related to factory workers.

Basic wages are fixed by the respective State Governments and normally remains fixed for longer periods unless there is major restructuring needed (recently done in Tamilnadu)

Dearness allowance is that component of the wages which will help the wage earner to cope with the rising prices and is based on the Consumer price indices that are prevalent in that region, at the time when revision of DA is made. When dearness allowance is revised it is normally done in terms of Paise / rupees per point of CPI. Please note that there are two different types of CPIs. CPI - U for consumers and CPI - IW for industrial workers. Also, CPI is pegged to a base year which is taken as the benchmark. Each base year would reflect a specific no of CPI points. Till some time ago, CIP - IW used to take 1982 as base year but recently is has been changed to base year 2001.

For example: If the notification says that DA needs to be given @ 50 paise for every CPI more than the CPI of the base year 2000 and we are in 2006. We need to add up the CP indices of all the months of 2006, divide it by the no of months to arrive at an average CPI point level.

Now, if the CPI points for base year is 450 and the current CPI points are 550. Then the new DA would be:

550 minus 450 multiplied by .50

ie: 100*0.50 = Rs.50

Hope you understood what you wanted to.

Best regards,

Raja G

Sapan -  Member Since: Jul 2006
Hi Raja, Will u please give me more details about the calculation of CPI points. How did you get the points to be 440 ? Whats this base year? sapan

raam -  Member Since: Jul 2006
hi to all

i too in need of these informations.. as u said cpi points from where we can get the points,, if a concern has to register n wants to give da & pf for the employees what things have to consider n what r all the proceedures,, whom to contact for the details.

if possible send the informations to my mail .


rameshpatel26 -  Member Since: Oct 2008
Hi to all, I am Ramesh. I want to know how to get Consumer Index point from which web side. if possible send the informations to my mail

iqbalchanna -  Member Since: Nov 2008
hi ramesh tell me in detail which was u requited or mail me or 09914241508

abbasiti -  Member Since: May 2010
Considering the living cost and all, Wage Revision is being done once in five years or ten years. But inflation will go up day by day and subsequently the money value will come down. To compensate this we have to wait till the next Wage Revision, which is not practical. That is why the DA is introduced.

The devaluation of money can be assessed through Whole Sale Price Index, All India Cosumer Price Index etc. The difference between these two is that, price variation of all commodities are taken into account for Whole Sale Price Index.

But for AICPI there are some differences/ limitations.

1. There is a particular Consumer viz. Industrial Worker.

2. Some specified goods & services are defined, called "basket of goods".

3. Along with the price variation of commodities, its consumable quantity will also be considered.

4. All over India 78 Centres are selected to take average

Based on All India Consumer Price, Industrial DA being paid; variable in quarters commencing from January, April, July & October. I.e. for January the AICPI will be the average of previous September, October & November. Similarly for April it will be December, January & February, for July it will be March, April & May and for October it will be June, July & August respectively.

When the money devaluation is fully compensated it is called as full DA neutralisation. The formula for full DA neutralisation = (Total points - Base points)/ Base points (in percentage). The AICPI is introduced in India in 1960 and revised in 1982 & 2001. AICPI of 2001 x 4.63, we get AICPI of 1982 and AICPI of 1982 x 4.93, we get AICPI of 1960. For DA calculation AICPI of 1960 is accepted as the base.

Now in India mainly two term's wage settlements are in exist; Wage Settlements of 1.1.1997 & 1.1.2007. The base point in 1.1.1997 is 1708 & in 1.1.2007 is 2884.

I shall quote one example,i.e. calculation of AICPI for July '10. This is equalent to average of previous March, April & May; which recorded as 170, 170 & 172 (Base year 2001). Multiply with 4.63 and round, we get 787,787 & 796 (Base year 1982). Multiply with 4.93 and round, we get 3880,3880 & 3924 (Base year 1960). Find average of these 3 and round, we get 3895.

DA for 1.1.97 scale. Total points - 3895, Base points - 1708, Total - Base = 2187. % is 2187/1708 x 100 = 128.0 ( Correct to one decimal).

DA for 1.1.2007 scale. Total points - 3895, Base points - 2884, Total - Base = 1011. % is 1011/2884 x 100 = 35.1 ( Correct to one decimal).

I shall insert Excel sheet for IDA calculation w.e.f 1.10.2008. You may extent the rows further (as necessary) and just enter the 3 indexes towards the year 2001 in green colour columns. The results will appear in yellow and red is used for static informations.

With regards

ITI Employees' Association,
ITI Limited, PALAKKAD - 678 623,
+91 9447 467 667

AICPI (base 2001) can be had from the following site.
Labour Statistics Page 2

Attached FilesProvided by community member abbasiti. Join us to learn and grow with your peers.
File Type: xls DA update.xls (22.0 KB, 658 views)
vg.saji -  Member Since: Sep 2008
Dear User, the link "labour statistices page 2 link is not available, provide region wise da index Regards saji



Found This Useful? +Vote Up This Via Google.  

Why Vote? User validation is extremely important for good content to prosper.
Disclaimer: This network and the advice provided in good faith by our members only facilitates as a direction towards the actions necessary. The advice should be validated by proper consultation with a certified professional. The network or the members providing advice cannot be held liable for any consequences, under any circumstances.

Cite.Co helps people come together to solve each other's problems on all aspects of professional life.
Share This Discussion:

3M Users, 100K+ Documents & 450K+ Discussions
About Us - Advertise - Contact Us - RSS   On Google+  
All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms Of Service
Facebook Page | Follow Us On Twitter | Linkedin Network