From "Lakshmanv" : Hi,
I don't know weather this question can post here or not.
My question is, I deposited some amount in wrong icici bank's account also contacted the bank.they are not able to reach that account holder. If they not able to contact that account holder, how do I get my whole money. As got the info frm bank they withdrawn some amount through ATM. If bank not able contact that person wat type of action they can take on account holder.
If, finally they catch that person, how do I get my total money including they with drawn money
Please help me.... It's about lacks
24th March 2014 From India, Hyderabad

Dear Lakshmanan,

Reading through your message , would understand that you are in a big mess, The only way that you can get your money back is Send mail to and add CC to .

The format of the mail is also given below, Immediate action will be taken .


The Banking Ombudsman,


Dear sir

I have send the fund wrongly through NEFT to ________________________________ to send the fund to _______________________________________ I have wrongly selected the IFSC ____________________process With transaction Ref no._____________________ as on _________________.Onthis issue I have given a written complaint to My banker M/s ____________________________________on ___________________.My Banker has not provided me any assistance to get my funds back or not taken any action. So I kindly requesting you to look in to this issue and do the justice to me.

Following are the detail of my self

Customer Name :

Customer's ac no :

IFSC code :

Mobile No :
24th March 2014 From India, Vijayawada
pon1965 570
At best, bank can block the amount from withdrawal from the account on your written request but they are not liable for compensating the loss. Pon
25th March 2014 From India, Lucknow
Lakshmanv 3
Is bank having any of rights like, return my money to me or revert the wrong transaction without presence of wrong account holder? if yes how
26th March 2014 From India, Hyderabad
I hd left my job, n apply for my pf balance, bt my company had updated wrong account number in my UAN profile, n not suport for change, i hd uplode my cancel cheque scane copy in my UAN profile in update kcy opetion, bt unable to change my account no,
Kindly guide or help for change my account details,
20th July 2016 From India, New%20Delhi
To be part of this and many other peer to peer discussions, Register at CITE which provides insights into real world issues and fosters community support and learning.
Disclaimer: This network and the advice provided in good faith by our members only facilitates as a direction towards the actions necessary. The advice should be validated by proper consultation with a certified professional. The network or the members providing advice cannot be held liable for any consequences, under any circumstances.

About Us - Advertise - Contact Us - RSS   On Google+  
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms Of Service
Facebook Page | Follow Us On Twitter | Linkedin Network