Why organizations should have a Business Excellence model ?
1) Highly competitive environment
2) To achieve Companies Mission & Vision
3) To achieve excellent Business results & Customer delight
4) To improve brand image
5) CEO's Passion for excellence
6) To bulid a great organization
7) To achieve break-through improvements
Buisness excellence model is the means of achieving all the above. Organisations can develop a customized business excellence model and/or adopt one or more of the below mentioned concepts.
1) Hoshin Kanri (policy deployment)
3) Deming award model
4) MNBQA model
5) Six Sigma
8) CII - Exim or EFQM
9) Balanced scorecard
Hope this answers your question
ISO 9001, EMS 14001, OHSAS 18001, SA 8000, IEC 17025, COPC, ETI, Energy Mgmt, Barrier free infrastructure, TQM, TPM etc..
Business comprises of sevearl facets and excellence is not limited to bread n butter deptt only. The quality of water that staff drink is equally important to customer satisfaction scores
The criteria provides a framework for performance excellence and helps the organization to assess and measure performance on a wide range of key business indicators like - customer, product and service, operational, and financial.
This allows the organization to carry out a self assessment on the business performance and allows to identify strengths and to target areas for “opportunities for improvement” on processes and results affecting all key stakeholders – including customers, employees, owners, suppliers, and the public.
The criteria also helps the organization to align its resources, productivity, effectiveness, and achieve the goals. In short, Business excellence model is:
• A comprehensive coverage of strategy-driven performance
• Focuses on the needs, expectations and satisfaction of all stakeholders
• Examines all processes that are essential in achieving business excellence
• Is a framework to assess and enhance business excellence
• Continuous improvement of organizational overall performance and capabilities.
• Delivering ever-improving value to customers, resulting in marketplace success.
• Understanding the business and analyzing in areas like - leadership, strategy, customer, market, information & data, knowledge sharing, HR, production processes, and the results.
• Framework for excellence through values, processes, and outcome. In the model, they call it as “Approach”, “deployment” and “results”
• It is not a prescriptive model.
• It asks questions, but does not provide solutions.
Organizations also uses “Balanced score card” as performance measurement system. This is again a framework, which enables to translate the organizations vision & strategy in to coherent set of performance and measures.
Although, there are many excellence models available, you can refer to “Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award” model. Tata Business excellence model is based on this.
Also read articles on balanced score card by – Robert Kaplan and David Norton.
You need more on this subject, mail to
You can visit the CII website, for info. on the CII Exim Bank Business Excellence Model. The TATA group website also has info. on their own Tata Business Excellence Model. These are derived from EFQM (European Foundation for Quality Management) Business Excellence Model.
You can get lot of information on google with the key words "business excellence"
Ranjit J. Pandya
even the latest entrant SA 8000 had only a few takers couple of years down the line... ITC Chirala plant and Tata Steel were the ones who were already fulfilling the requirements of the standard.
are you aware that ITC chirala has fourth generation employees..
btw have you read JRD's beyod the last blue mountain ?
Why Vote? User validation is extremely important for good content to prosper.