Why organizations should have a Business Excellence model ?
1) Highly competitive environment
2) To achieve Companies Mission & Vision
3) To achieve excellent Business results & Customer delight
4) To improve brand image
5) CEO's Passion for excellence
6) To bulid a great organization
7) To achieve break-through improvements
Buisness excellence model is the means of achieving all the above. Organisations can develop a customized business excellence model and/or adopt one or more of the below mentioned concepts.
1) Hoshin Kanri (policy deployment)
3) Deming award model
4) MNBQA model
5) Six Sigma
8) CII - Exim or EFQM
9) Balanced scorecard
Hope this answers your question
addon to what Ramesh has already enumerated:
ISO 9001, EMS 14001, OHSAS 18001, SA 8000, IEC 17025, COPC, ETI, Energy Mgmt, Barrier free infrastructure, TQM, TPM etc..
Business comprises of sevearl facets and excellence is not limited to bread n butter deptt only. The quality of water that staff drink is equally important to customer satisfaction scores
With rapid change in marketplace and ever-increasing competition in today's business environment, organizations are looking for every opportunity to improve their business results. To be competitive to sustain growth, the organization lays firm approach to drive performance and attain higher levels of efficiency. The business excellence model is a tool, which has a set of criteria using which the organization can improve performance on the critical factors that can drive their business to success.
The criteria provides a framework for performance excellence and helps the organization to assess and measure performance on a wide range of key business indicators like - customer, product and service, operational, and financial.
This allows the organization to carry out a self assessment on the business performance and allows to identify strengths and to target areas for “opportunities for improvement” on processes and results affecting all key stakeholders – including customers, employees, owners, suppliers, and the public.
The criteria also helps the organization to align its resources, productivity, effectiveness, and achieve the goals. In short, Business excellence model is:
• A comprehensive coverage of strategy-driven performance
• Focuses on the needs, expectations and satisfaction of all stakeholders
• Examines all processes that are essential in achieving business excellence
• Is a framework to assess and enhance business excellence
• Continuous improvement of organizational overall performance and capabilities.
• Delivering ever-improving value to customers, resulting in marketplace success.
• Understanding the business and analyzing in areas like - leadership, strategy, customer, market, information & data, knowledge sharing, HR, production processes, and the results.
• Framework for excellence through values, processes, and outcome. In the model, they call it as “Approach”, “deployment” and “results”
• It is not a prescriptive model.
• It asks questions, but does not provide solutions.
Organizations also uses “Balanced score card” as performance measurement system. This is again a framework, which enables to translate the organizations vision & strategy in to coherent set of performance and measures.
Although, there are many excellence models available, you can refer to “Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award” model. Tata Business excellence model is based on this.
Also read articles on balanced score card by – Robert Kaplan and David Norton.
You need more on this subject, mail to
You can visit the CII website, for info. on the CII Exim Bank Business Excellence Model. The TATA group website also has info. on their own Tata Business Excellence Model. These are derived from EFQM (European Foundation for Quality Management) Business Excellence Model.
You can get lot of information on google with the key words "business excellence"
Ranjit J. Pandya
Tata steel has been at the forefront while implementing standards like TQM/ TPM, ISO 9001/14001/18001.
even the latest entrant SA 8000 had only a few takers couple of years down the line... ITC Chirala plant and Tata Steel were the ones who were already fulfilling the requirements of the standard.
are you aware that ITC chirala has fourth generation employees..
btw have you read JRD's beyod the last blue mountain ?
Found This Useful? +Vote Up This Page Via Google.
Why Vote? User validation is extremely important for good content to prosper.
Disclaimer: This network and the advice provided in good faith by our members only facilitates as a direction towards the actions necessary. The advice should be validated by proper consultation with a certified professional. The network or the members providing advice cannot be held liable for any consequences, under any circumstances.
Explore Topical Knowledge Areas
Topic Categories >> business excellence business models business results competitive environment customer satisfaction improve performance iso 9001 knowledge sharing Location-India-Mumbai ohsas 18001 performance measurement quality management sa 8000 Complete List Of Categories
Interesting Relevant Discussions